Blueberry Banana Bread is perfectly moist quick bread bursting with flavor from juicy berries. Enjoy a slice for breakfast or dessert!
If you’ve tried our classic Banana Bread Recipe, this loaf is just tender and rich, but with the added flavor of fresh blueberries. It’s the perfect sweet Breakfast Recipe or treat for later in the day.
BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
Banana Bread is one of those classic recipes that everyone loves. It’s the perfect way to use up overripe bananas, and the sweet loaf of bread doubles as a breakfast or dessert. This recipe for Banana Blueberry Bread gives the bread extra moisture and a double dose of fruit with the blueberries. The fruity surprise adds more flavor and puts a fun spin on an old standard.
Delicious Blueberry Banana Loaf is sort of like a cross between banana bread and a Blueberry Muffin. So, with just one easy recipe you can get a combination of two classic breakfasts. Make the easy dish with slightly brown bananas mixed with fresh or frozen blueberries. Whether you use fresh or frozen, the loaf will taste absolutely amazing. Other ingredients like sour cream also help make the bread moist and rich.
This has quickly become one of our family’s favorite recipes. It’s great to make a double batch to have two loaves of this Blueberry Banana Bread recipe. Then you can enjoy one loaf fresh, and freeze the other for later. Wrap the second bread loaf tightly in tin foil, and freeze it for up to 4 months.
MORE BANANA BREAD RECIPES
RECIPE TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
- Prep time: Preheat your oven and prep your loaf pan with nonstick spray. If you don’t have cooking spray, you could also line the pan with parchment paper.
- Banana mixture: Whisk together the bananas, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Keep mixing until the banana is broken down and the mixture is smooth. Once it’s combined, whisk in the sour cream. If you’re using an electric mixer or kitchen aid to combine the wet ingredients keep it on medium speed.
- Dry ingredients: Sift 1 cup flour, baking soda, and salt slowly into a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture into your batter and stir it in without over mixing.
- Blueberries: Toss 1 cup fresh blueberries in another bowl with 1 tablespoon of flour. Once the blueberries are coated in flour, fold them into the banana bread batter with a rubber spatula.
- Bake: Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan, or loaf pans if you’re making a double batch. Bake for 50-60 minutes. When the top starts to look done, put a toothpick in the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean you can take the Blueberry Banana Bread from the oven and put it on a wire rack to cool.
VARIATIONS ON BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
- Lemon glaze: For some extra flavor and fresh lemon zest try making a lemon glaze for your Banana Blueberry Bread recipe. To make an easy lemon glaze, all you need is 1 1/2- 2 cups of powdered sugar and 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice. Whisk the lemon juice into the sugar and adjust the ratios based on how thick the glaze is.
- Add-ins: for some different textures and flavors you can try adding ingredients like a little bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger. You can also add mix-ins like other berries, chocolate chips, or nuts.
- Ingredient swaps: There are plenty of substitutes you can make in this Banana Blueberry Bread recipe depending on preferences and dietary restrictions. If you don’t want eggs in the recipe, you can replace each egg with 1/4 cup of apple sauce. You could also exchange the flour for wheat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour. Instead of granulated sugar try brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey.
- Cinnamon sugar topping: For some extra sweetness make blueberry banana bread with cinnamon crunch topping. To make the cinnamon-sugar topping cut together 2 tablespoons cold butter, 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Sprinkle it over the bread before baking.
MORE QUICK BREAD RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
- Serve: Covered in plastic wrap, Banana Blueberry Bread can be good at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Store: You can also wrap the bread or put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge. It will keep well for up to a week.
- Freeze: To freeze the bread wrap it in aluminum foil or put it in a freezer-safe bag. If the bread is already cut into individual slices, put them in a freezer bag separated by parchment paper. It will stay good frozen for up to 4 months.
Blueberry Banana Bread
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Course: Bread, Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups flour , plus 1 tablespoon divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk in sour cream until creamy and well combined.
- Sift together 1 cup flour, baking soda, and salt, whisking it until just combined.
- Toss blueberries in the remaining 1 tablespoon flour.
- Gently fold in the blueberries to the banana bread batter.
Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 257 calories, Calories: 257g, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 208mg, Potassium: 122mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 21g, Vitamin A: 124g, Vitamin C: 3g, Calcium: 19g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.