Brownie Cupcakes are just as chocolatey, and fudgy as your favorite brownies, but baked in a cupcake tin. They’re perfect for a party or portable dessert.
They have the ultimate chocolate flavor and combine two incredible desserts in one delicious bite. Unlike regular cupcakes that are made with a light and fluffy cake batter, Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes have the rich, fudgy taste of a dark chocolate brownie. You get the flavor of a chocolate brownie plus extra chocolate goodness with the best Rich Chocolate Frosting!
Homemade Brownie Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for the next time you’re craving something sweet and chocolatey but don’t have all day to spend in the kitchen. They’re super easy, only take a half-hour to make, and they end up perfectly soft and moist every time. The chopped pecans mixed into the batter adds an extra crunch that makes them even more irresistible, just like a classic brownie recipe.
This Brownie Cupcake recipe has the rich flavor of typical homemade brownies, so you don’t need frosting to enjoy this chocolate treat all on it’s own. You can also switch up the flavors of the frosting to serve them for special occasions or satisfy a craving. Use any of your favorite frosting recipes like Cream Cheese Frosting, Classic Buttercream Frosting, or Peanut Butter Frosting. They’d all go great with the simple chocolate flavor.
However you frost them, make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you get started. Hot cupcakes equal a messy frosting disaster. When the Brownie Cupcakes are cooled and ready, transfer the frosting into a piping bag with a star-shaped piping tip and swirl the frosting over the cupcakes. Add sprinkles and other toppings to make them the perfect Birthday cupcakes or just for a festive, fun touch!
More Fun Cupcake Recipes
- Prep time: Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees and line the muffin cups with paper liners. Don’t skip the paper liners, these cupcakes can be sticky!
- Melt the Chocolate: Add the chocolate and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the chocolate and melted butter together between each microwaving session until the chocolate has a creamy and smooth texture. Let the chocolate mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Brownie Batter: Pour the melted chocolate, butter, and granulated sugar into your stand mixer and mix for about 1 minute. Or, you could add the brownie mix into a large bowl and use an electric hand mixer to combine. Next, whisk the eggs and vanilla into the brownie batter. Then sift in the flour. Keep the mixer at its lowest speed until the batter is just combined. Fold in the pecans to finish.
- Baking time: Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake cups. Then put the cupcake tins in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of one Brownie Cupcake to test if they’re done. If it comes out with moist crumbs instead of batter take the brownies from the oven. Let them cool before serving or piping frosting on top.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Nuts: You can try different mix-ins with your Fudge Brownie Cupcakes. This recipe originally has chopped pecans mixed in with the brownie batter, but you could always try other kinds of nuts. Almonds, walnuts, or cashews would all taste great.
- Chocolate: For a double chocolate brownie, mix in semisweet mini chocolate chips. Or, make dark chocolate brownies with dark chocolate chunks.
- Mix-Ins: Some other fun add-in ideas are M&Ms, mini marshmallows, Oreo crumbs, or peanut butter chips.
- Cookie Dough Brownie Cupcakes: This dessert already combines two classic desserts, so why not add a third with a cookie dough center? To make Brownie Cupcakes with cookie dough center, prepare a batch of Edible Cookie Dough and make 1 inch balls of dough. Fill muffin tins with cupcake batter halfway and drop a cookie dough ball in the center of each cup. Top with another spoonful of batter and bake as usual.
- Toppings: For other easy toppings sprinkle on some powdered sugar, Chocolate Ganache, or add rainbow sprinkles to make these Brownie Cupcakes party-ready.
Even More Cupcake Recipes!
How to Store
- Serve: You can keep Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes at room temperature for up to 2 days. After they’ve cooled down, put them in a Ziplock bag to keep them moist.
- Store: You can also put them in an airtight container to store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Bring to room temperature when you want to eat leftovers so they are nice and soft.
- Freeze: For a longer storage time, put the Brownie Cupcakes in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. It is best to store the cupcakes and the frosting separate, or make the frosting fresh when you want to enjoy them.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans , optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Add chocolate and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments until smooth and creamy when stirred.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- To your stand mixer add the butter and sugar and whip until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- On the lowest speed setting add in the flour until just combined.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Scoop batter (using ice cream scoop) into muffin liners.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.