Chicken and Spinach Pie is an easy weeknight dinner made with just a few ingredients. Chicken, spinach and cheese in baked in a pie crust, ready in an hour!
There are fewer dinners more comforting than a Chicken Pot Pie. This Chicken and Spinach Pie has all the comfort in half the work. Check out even more easy weeknight Dinner Recipes to fill those comfort food cravings in about an hour.
CHICKEN AND SPINACH PIE
When you want to feed your family something hearty and delicious (aka something they will eat) but you’ve had a long day of running around, sometimes the last thing you want to do is spend all night in the kitchen . This family friendly, easy recipe is a one bowl, one pan full meal made in minutes to get you in and out of the kitchen quick.
This Chicken and Spinach Pie is a simple, straightforward recipe that uses cooked chicken, frozen spinach, and pre-made pie crusts plus milk and eggs from your fridge. It’s the perfect meal to make after you’ve gone grocery shopping. It comes together in minutes and can bake while you put the rest of the groceries away.
Pick up precooked cubed chicken breast in the deli or you can use a rotisserie chicken for Chicken and Spinach Pie. It’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken or other meat like ham, turkey, or ground beef. The flavors of your leftovers will just add to this dish and won’t clash with the simple ingredients.
Chicken and Spinach Pie is great for potlucks or a meal for babysitters, left in the fridge with the heating instructions or pop in the oven right before you leave. If you are making for week night meal, serve your Chicken and Spinach Pie with an easy side like Tomato Soup or a Greek Salad.
One of the sweetest, but often overlooked, things you can do for a sick friend or new parent is to bring them a comforting dinner that they can pop in the oven on a later day. Bake one of these Chicken and Spinach Pies and deliver to your friend with storing and reheating instructions written on a tag. To reheat from the fridge bake for 45 minutes and from frozen, add at least 20 minutes.
Can you make Chicken and Spinach Pie ahead?
Chicken and Spinach Pie is a fantastic dish to make ahead. It freezes well and you can easily make two pies at a time to freeze one for later. Bake Chicken and Spinach Pie as usual, then allow to completely cool before wrapping with plastic wrap and then storing in an airtight container. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until hot.
MORE EASY CLASSIC CHICKEN DINNERS
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN AND SPINACH PIE
- Bacon: Bacon makes everything better! Dice up 4-6 slices of cooked bacon and mix in with your Chicken and Spinach mixture before baking.
- Meat: Instead of cooked chicken, you can use leftover chopped ham, turkey breast, or even ground beef. For a vegetarian version try baked tofu or veggie crumbles.
- Casserole: Instead baking this dish as a pie, bake a Chicken and Spinach Casserole. Pour the filling into a 9×13 pan and top with Biscuit Dough or spread a layer of Mashed Potatoes. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until biscuits (or potatoes) are golden brown and center is cooked.
- Veggies: You can add your favorite vegetables to Chicken and Spinach Pie. Try mushrooms, roasted red peppers, or swap the spinach for kale.
- Cheese: Use any shredded creamy cheese that you like in the chicken spinach filling. Smoked gouda or smoked mozzarella would add a lot of flavor or try a spicy white cheese like Pepper Jack to bring some heat.
How to Make Mini Chicken and Spinach Pies
- Roll out one pie crust and cut into 12 circles about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Line a 12 cup greased muffin tin with the pie crust circles
- Prepare chicken and spinach filling as you would in regular recipe.
- Divide filling evenly between the muffin cups, leaving enough bottom crust edge to attach the top crust.
- Roll the second pie crust and cut into 12 circles slightly larger than the muffin cups.
- Cover the mini pies and crimp the top and bottom crusts. Cut a 1 inch slit vent into each top crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN AND SPINACH PIE
- Serve: Store this pie after no more than 2 hours at room temperature. Keep warm in the oven if not serving right away.
- Store: Keep your Chicken and Spinach Pie in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Cover in foil or place in a sealed container.
- Freeze: This Chicken and Spinach Pie can be frozen for up to 3 months. Cool completely and seal tightly with plastic wrap and foil or in an airtight container.
Chicken and Spinach Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 cups chicken breast , cooked and cubed
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach , thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup Swiss cheese , shredded
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate with a pie crust.
In medium bowl, combine chicken, spinach and cheese. Evenly spread the chicken mixture over the pie crust.
In medium bowl (you can use the same one,) whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the chicken mixture.
Cover the pie with the second pie crust. Cut slits to vent.
Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 324 calories, Calories: 324g, Carbohydrates: 24g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 78mg, Sodium: 295mg, Potassium: 361mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 4381g, Vitamin C: 2g, Calcium: 196g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.