Chicken Tot Pie is an easy fun twist on classic pot pie. Tender chicken, corn, peas, green beans and carrots in a creamy sauce with crispy tater tot crust.
CHICKEN TOT PIE
A classic chicken pot pie is one of those cozy comfort foods that isn’t always a kid pick. No matter how good the recipe, kids don’t usually request this delicious dish. So how to get the kids on board and excited? Add crispy tater tots and cheese of course!
If your family is in a weeknight dinner rut, use frozen tater tots make fun new favorites like this Chicken Tot Pie. These tasty little spuds can turn go-to family favorites into something new and exciting. Throw some frozen tater tots on an y normal casserole and guaranteed you won’t have any comments about eating “this again”.
This Chicken Tot Pie recipe has all comforting flavors and taste you grew up on with a crispy crust kids will love. It’s old school meets modern convenience, no rolling out pie crust or using multiple bowls and pans. Plus you’ll never have to worry about a soggy crust!
Recipes like this Chicken Tot Pie are a great meal for after you’ve gone grocery shopping. Pick up a container of cooked cubed chicken breasts from the deli, use canned chicken breasts (Costco has a good quality one) and you can have this one pan meal in the oven in minutes. Let it bake while you put the rest of the groceries away. Talk about an easy weeknight dinner!
It’s so easy to change up Chicken Tot Pie depending on what your family likes. Feel free to swap out the vegetables, the creamy soup, or even the meat. If you need some ideas, check out the suggestions below to get inspired.
Serve your Chicken Tot Pie with some Homemade Dinner Rolls and a bag of salad from the store for a super easy weeknight dinner. If you want to add more veggies to this meal (and what parent doesn’t), go with easy kid favorites like Sautéed Green Beans.
MORE DELICIOUS CASSEROLE RECIPES
To make this Chicken Tot Pie easier, this recipe calls for canned cream of chicken soup, but you can always use 1 cup of our homemade Cream of Chicken recipe. Mix all the filling ingredients in the casserole dish if you want a one pan meal. Wipe down the inner sides before adding tots to make clean up easier later.
This recipe is a great inexpensive meal for potlucks or making ahead in the freezer. You can double the batch without much work and store the extra Chicken Tot Pie (without the cheese) for up to 2 months. To reheat the Chicken Tot Pie, take out of the freezer for about 30 minutes then bake according to recipe. You may need to cook up to 20 minutes longer.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN TOT PIE
- Potatoes: Try Mashed Potatoes spread on top for a shepherd’s pie like meal or substitute frozen hash browns for a thinner crispy topping.
- Different Tots: Use Cauliflower or Broccoli Tots to mix things up a bit. They even make carrot tots now. Or try a mixture for a fun colorful pattern.
- Meat: Instead of chicken breast, use a rotisserie chicken to easily add flavor without using more seasoning. You can also use leftover ham, cooked ground beef, or turkey breast.
- Veggies: Use your favorite frozen vegetable mixes like stir fry blend or cauliflower and broccoli blend. Make your own veggies using Easy Peas and Carrots, a one bowl, 5 minute recipe!
- Cream Soup: Try other condensed cream soup bases like Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Cheddar, or Cream of Celery instead of the Cream of Chicken.
- Mini Chicken Tot Pies: Make individual Chicken Tot Pies by dividing the filling into small ramekins or a muffin tin lined with silicone cupcake liners (they hold up better). Top with tots and bake for 25 minutes. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
MORE FUN FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN TOT PIE
- Serve: Keep Chicken Tot Pie for up to 2 hours at room temperature before storing.
- Store: Allow Chicken Tot Pie to cool completely before covering tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerating for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Cool the Chicken Tot Pie all the way to keep moisture from collecting. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken breast , cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, mixed vegetables, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken and cheese in a large bowl.
- Pour into baking dish then top with tater tots, lined up neatly in rows.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is browned and crispy.