Chicken Burrito is the PERFECT grab-and-go meal made with chicken breast, Mexican rice, refried beans, cheddar cheese, and seasoning, wrapped in a flour tortilla and frozen until you need it!
Chicken Burritos are one of my all-time favorite grab-and-go recipes because they’re insanely easy to make, while being absolutely delicious every single time. They also keep really well in the freezer, so you can make a big batch at one time and pull them out anytime over the next two months.
This is made with really fresh ingredients, which is exactly why it blows store-bought burritos out of the water when it comes to flavor and texture.
CAN YOU USE OTHER MEAT TO MAKE THESE?
You can make this recipe with steak, lamb, or turkey. Just cook it completely, then chop it the same way as you would for chicken.
MORE BURRITO RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BURRITO FILLING IN AN INSTANT POT
- Using the sauté function, add the onions, oil, and seasoning. Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add all other ingredients (except for tortillas, sour cream, beans, and rice).
- Seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 10 minutes and release naturally.
- When the pressure releases, remove the lid and take out the chicken. Dice and stir back into the sauce.
- Build as usual.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BURRITO FILLING IN THE SLOW COOKER
- Add everything except for the tortillas, rice, beans, and sour cream to the slow cooker. Stir to mix everything together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. Remove the chicken and dice into small pieces.
- Stir back into the pot. Assemble according to the original recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN BURRITOS
- You can replace the Mexican rice with brown rice and use low-fat refried beans, cheese, and sour cream to lighten this recipe up a little bit.
- If you don’t want to cook your own, you can use a rotisserie chicken. This is also a great way to use up leftovers!
- If you don’t have refried beans, you can substitute with pureed black beans.
- Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce to add some more heat to your dish.
- You can also omit the tortillas and divide the filling among freezer-safe containers for burrito bowls.
- If you’re going to eat some right away, top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and avocado slices.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups prepared Mexican rice
- 1 15 oz. can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 Tablespoons sour cream
- 8 large large 10-inch flour tortillas
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add the canola oil to a cast iron skillet on medium heat, season the chicken with salt and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side before removing from the pan and adding in the onion and garlic to skillet, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, lime juice and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated while you chop the chicken finely and add it back into the pan to cook down with the mixture.
Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes or until mixture comes to warm room temperature.
Lay tortillas out on a flat surface and divide the beans, chicken, rice, cheddar cheese and sour cream among the 8 tortillas. Fold each burrito-style.
- Wrap each burrito with saran wrap, and then place burritos in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Freeze up to 2 months.
To Reheat: Unwrap burrito from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 543 calories, Calories: 543g, Carbohydrates: 62g, Protein: 27g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Sodium: 1128mg, Potassium: 445mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 590g, Vitamin C: 3.2g, Calcium: 297g, Iron: 2.8g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.