Ditch the can, this Homemade Enchilada Sauce will make you feel like you’re at your favorite Mexican restaurant in fifteen minutes!
This Homemade Enchilada Sauce is the base recipe used in many of our Mexican inspired recipes. It is so easy to make you can keep it in the fridge and ALWAYS have it in the freezer because truth be told, making this in bulk will be a game changer. This recipe is scaled down so you could make a quantity for one meal, but after you make it once you’ll be doing in it bulk too!
It can be hard sometimes to introduce spice into the diet of young kids, so this recipe is a perfect one because you can adjust the spice level to suit your family, and it complements lots of food that young kids like. Try marinating chicken in this sauce before grilling to add a ton of flavor that the kids will enjoy right alongside you.
If you master a few simple sauce recipes, you can make several meals on a weekly basis right out of your Kitchen Pantry. Find the ones you like and repurpose them into various dishes that your family loves, so when it is 6:00 pm and you are completely drawing a blank on dinner you can go into the freezer, grab a sauce and make dinner.
Another popular favorite is Zankou Chicken Armenian Garlic Paste. When you find a good sauce that will get eaten by everyone in the house, you will get creative and use it on as much as you can. Speaking of using it on everything, here are some of the ways we use this sauce!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Ways to use this Enchilada Sauce:
- Chicken Enchiladas. I mean what else would’ve been #1? (Tip: Because pre-shredded cheeses contain an additive to avoid clumping they also don’t melt as well as you’d hope so it’s a good idea to always shred your own)
- Mexican Lasagna (Use tortillas instead of noodles, layered with Mexican shredded cheese, and ground beef)
- Chicken Tamale Bake
- Taco Sauce
- Burritos “Enchilada Style” (This is a throwback to Baja Fresh’s enchilada style burritos…SO GOOD) – top the burrito with the Homemade Enchilada Sauce, some shredded cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes
- Mix with sour cream for a creamy spicy sauce (top almost anything with this, like the Cheesecake Factory Tamale Corn Cakes)
- Mix with sour cream as a dip too, for things like taquitos
- Mix with Ranch Dressing for a taco salad
- Top your eggs with it for easy huevos rancheros
- Works as a great marinade for chicken/pork too. Just scrape off the excess and grill on a cast iron griddle.
This Homemade Enchilada Sauce is amazing and easy. Serve your homemade enchiladas with a refreshing Avocado Tomato Corn Salad and some Beans & Rice for a complete feast! And don’t forget Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips for dessert!
PS, the glass in the picture is a great versatile kitchen item. They are old school French glasses that you buy with lids that you can put on the top and store. They are inexpensive and heavy duty, and they double for drinking glasses.
How to Store Enchilada Sauce
- Serve: Refrigerate sauce after allowing to cool to room temperature for no longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze: This sauce freezes so well, and can be heated straight from the freezer in a pinch. If you do have time, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. It can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months.
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the flour and chili powder and stir.
- Cook until the bright red color turns a bit brown while stirring.
- In a small bowl mix the tomato sauce with the rest of the ingredients until it is fully blended.
- Add to your saucepan and whisk until fully mixed.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until thickened.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.