Chicken Fajitas made with homemade fajita seasoning, chicken thighs, bell peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet. Restaurant quality fajitas in just 30 minutes!
We love easy Mexican recipes like Best Homemade Enchilada Sauce, Chipotle Barbacoa and Spanish Rice (Mexican Rice) because they’re so much better than the pre-made versions and they’re so quick to make.
Chicken Fajita Recipe
Chicken fajitas are one of our go to weeknight meals because they’re easy to make in just thirty minutes and they’re a good way of getting kids to eat a lot of vegetables. We also like to mix the recipe up and serve it with non traditional options for a more Tex-Mex feel (like with Queso dip – this combination is amazing).
In addition to this recipe working well with chicken breasts, you can also use lean steak, pork loin or any seafood you’d like. The fajita seasoning and the vegetables work great with all proteins, my favorite being shrimp fajitas.
The best way to cook chicken fajitas is on high heat in a grill pan like or a griddle. The higher the heat the better the sear on the chicken and the vegetables since we’re cooking them for only a few minutes. If you’d prefer to use a pan for a stir-fry style I recommend using a cast iron pan as it will give the best sear and flavors.
Since we’re cooking it quickly you can also substitute skinless chicken breasts for the chicken thighs that are in the recipe, but you’ll have to serve them quickly as they will dry out faster than chicken thighs which can sit in a hot griddle through serving with no issues.
The chicken fajitas can also be grilled, put in a slow cooker or cooked on a sheet pan because the recipe is totally adaptable. If going in the slow cooker use this recipe, if being grilled cook over medium high heat and cook the veggie portion in a grill basket. If cooking on a sheet pan line everything up in as even a layer as possible and roast at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Ways to add more flavor:
- Marinade: We don’t marinate the meat in the recipe but if you did add a marinade or even just added the seasonings to the chicken the night before.
- Fresh lime juice: this adds a freshness and brightness to the dish along with a ton of flavor.
- Sour Cream: adds a creamy, cool element the recipe.
- Guacamole: adds richness and creaminess to the dish and enough flavor to avoid other fats.
- Cilantro: It isn’t just a garnish, adding chopped cilantro adds a lot of great flavors.
WAYS TO SERVE CHICKEN FAJITAS:
- With flour tortillas or corn tortillas as originally intended.
- In hard taco shells topped with lettuce and tomato or even a creamy slaw.
- With a large salad full of romaine, grape tomatoes, avocados, salsa, and sour cream.
- In a rice bowl, or over cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Rolled in a warm tortilla with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream and baked with enchilada sauce.
- In lettuce cups instead of tortillas.
- Chopped up leftovers stuffed inside of quesadillas for a perfect, easy leftovers meal.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 red onion cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- chopped cilantro as a garnish
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add half the canola oil to a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
Add the chili powder, kosher salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin and chicken in a small bowl and mix well.
Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until crisp on the outside and cooked through on the inside (about 3-4 minutes on each side) then remove from the pan.
Add the rest of the canola oil and the onions, bell peppers and garlic to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Slice the chicken, add it back into the pan and squeeze half the lime wedges over the pan before serving.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 275 calories, Calories: 275g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 460mg, Potassium: 337mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 23.8g, Vitamin C: 100.1g, Calcium: 2.5g, Iron: 7g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert, Inc.Save Recipe