Chipotle Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa is a smoky, slightly spicy salsa with fresh cilantro and citrus notes with tons of flavor that’s the perfect topping for all your favorite Mexican recipes and the perfect Chipotle Copycat Recipe!
We love Chipotle Copycat Recipes including Chipotle Chicken, Chipotle Guacamole and my Ultimate Beef Barbacoa which is based on the Chipotle recipe I have on the site. You can make an entire Chipotle buffet with the recipes here on the site!
Chipotle Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa
This tomatillo salsa from Chipotle has so many layered and complex flavors you would think it takes a long time to make and is super complicated. But really its just one extra step of roasting a few vegetables *or grilling* until they’ve charred before adding them to a food processor. When you char and roast a vegetable it adds a complex new flavor to a vegetable and softens and deepens the flavors of it.
In this salsa we roast the tomatillos, tomatoes, jalapenõs and red onions. You don’t need to add oil to them before roasting them, but they may stick to your roasting pan a bit. Don’t worry if they do, you’re going to be blending this salsa in a food processor anyway, nothing on the pan needs to win a beauty award. If you’d like to add a bit of vegetable oil to your vegetables before roasting them it you absolutely can. This will also give them a jumpstart on adding some more color to them in the oven.
If you want to grill your vegetables I do suggest adding a bit of vegetable oil to them as they will be more likely to stick to the grill. You could also just oil your grill by scrubbing the grill clean then wiping the grates with a paper towel moistened with some vegetable oil.
Want to make a Chipotle buffet at home?
- Chipotle Chicken Recipe (Copycat)
- Chipotle Black Beans (Copycat)
- Chipotle Queso (Copycat)
- Chipotle Guacamole (Copycat)
- Chipotle Corn Salsa (Copycat)
- Chipotle Lime Chips and Guacamole (Copycat)
- Chipotle Inspired Ultimate Beef Barbacoa
Where to use this salsa? Top it on:
- burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, taquitos
- salads, chicken bowls, grilled meats, grilled fish
- eggs, omelettes, chilaquilles
How to store this Chipotle Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa:
- Since it contains fresh cilantro this salsa is best consumed within 72 hours and should be kept refrigerated when not being consumed. If you skip the cilantro you could keep it for up to 5 days if kept refrigerated.
- I do not recommend freezing Chipotle Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa.
MORE COPYCAT RECIPES
- Panda Express Orange Chicken (Copycat)
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup (Copycat)
- Olive Garden Italian Salad Dressing (Copycat)
- Olive Garden Five Cheese Ziti al Forno (Copycat)
- Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira (Copycat)
Did I mention I have the ENTIRE Panda Express Menu?!
Chipotle Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Course: Side
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Chipotle Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa is smoky and spicy, with lemon and lime juice and fresh cilantro, you can make this copycat at home in 30 minutes!
- 2 pounds tomatillos halved
- 3 vine tomatoes halved
- 2 jalapenos deseeded
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and add the tomatillos, tomato, jalapenõ and red onion to a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes until they all start to char.
Add the roasted vegetables along with the rest of the ingredients to a large food processor or a blender with a vent (the steam will need an escape) and pulse until slightly chunky, about 10-15 seconds.
Yield: 12 servings, Amount per serving: 38 calories, Calories: 38g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 1g, Sodium: 197mg, Potassium: 298mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 7.6g, Vitamin C: 20.9g, Calcium: 1.8g, Iron: 4.8g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.