Chocolate Pound Cake is a rich, moist, decadent cake recipe that’s a dream come true for chocolate lovers! Made with simple ingredients and ready in under 1 hour.
If you’ve tried our Classic Vanilla Pound Cake or Chocolate Chip Pound Cake, then this is the Dessert Recipe you have to make next. You’re sure to love this sweet, chocolatey take on traditional pound cake.
CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
Pound cakes are denser and moister than traditional sponge cake recipes. Because of this, the cake turns out much richer, and it is perfect for special occasions. It’s so full of flavor on its own you don’t even have to frost it. Enjoy this cake over the holidays or bake it as a romantic dessert for date night. It truly is THE BEST Chocolate Pound Cake you will ever try and perfect for any chocoholics!
Just like our Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe, this Pound Cake has hints of coffee flavor along with the chocolate. Adding the espresso powder into the batter enhances the chocolate flavor and makes the cake even better. Because the coffee brings out the best notes in the chocolate, you really don’t want to skip it. If you don’t have instant espresso powder, try using ¼ cup of hot coffee instead. You’ll just want to cut the milk in the recipe in half so that there’s not too much liquid in the cake batter.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
Although this cake is moist and tasty enough to serve without any extra add-ons, you can experiment with your favorite cake toppings for some different takes on this simple recipe. Here are some favorite ways to serve Chocolate Pound Cake:
- Powdered Sugar: For an easy, yet elegant dessert just sprinkle some powdered sugar over the cake right before serving. This is especially great if you add some fresh berries along with it. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and some powdered sugar all on top of a chocolate cake make a beautiful and delicious dessert.
- Chocolate Ganache: For a richer, even more chocolatey dessert, top it off with some Homemade Chocolate Ganache. This rich chocolate topping is just 2 ingredients and done in a couple of minutes.
- Whipped Cream: Some fluffy whipped cream is an easy topping that goes great on practically any dessert. You can make some Easy Whipped Cream, Stabilized Whipped Cream, or if you’d rather not make your own just pick up some store-bought cool whip.
- Ice Cream: Of course, nothing beats a classic like a warm piece of cake with cool, creamy ice cream. You can even make your own Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream to enjoy with this dish.
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
- Chocolate Chips: For extra melty, chocolaty goodness, try mixing some chocolate chips into the cake batter. You can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips in the recipe.
- Fruit: Add in some citrus flavor with orange zest. You can also mix frozen fruit like blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries into the batter before baking.
- Other add-ins: For some crunchy texture in the velvety cake, mix in chopped nuts. Pecans, walnuts, or almonds will go nicely. You can also add some different flavorings like a little bit of cinnamon or raspberry extract.
MORE HOMEMADE CAKE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
- Serve: Let the cake cool to room temperature, then cover it tightly in plastic wrap or seal it in an airtight container. Kept sealed it will stay good at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Store: To keep the cake longer, you can seal it to store in the fridge. It will keep well for up to a week.
- Freeze: Frozen Chocolate Pound Cake is good for up to 6 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before serving leftovers.
Chocolate Pound Cake
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
To your stand mixer add the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add in the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and instant espresso powder. Mix until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the stand mixer on the lowest speed setting until just combined.
- Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 333 calories, Calories: 333g, Carbohydrates: 43g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 123mg, Potassium: 190mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 26g, Vitamin A: 549g, Calcium: 66g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.