Cranberry Ambrosia Salad is an easy retro holiday dessert salad recipe with whole cranberries, pineapple, coconut and whipped cream in 10 minutes.
Cranberry Bread and Cranberry Sauce are not the only cranberry recipes you need to make for the holidays. This easy Cranberry Salad is perfect for Christmas dinner, Thanksgiving dinner, the next potluck you’re hosting, the Kentucky Derby, or any other fun, fancy event you’ve got planned.
CRANBERRY AMBROSIA SALAD
As far as holiday recipes go, it’s hard to get more traditionally American than Cranberry Ambrosia Salad. You’re going to want to make a large bowl of this fun, yummy fruit salad, since everyone’s going to want a second helping. Depending on the rest of the menu, fresh Cranberry Salad is the perfect dessert or even a side dish. This is a more old fashioned dish, but you never know. It could become one of your new favorite recipes. It’s already gluten free too, so no changes have to be made for any friends or family with specific dietary needs.
What is Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia Salad is a creamy dessert salad made with pineapple, coconut and whipped cream (or cool whip) and other fruit cocktail ingredients.
So, what is Ambrosia Salad and what does “ambrosia” even mean? According to Greek mythology, “ambrosia” was the food of the gods that they often ate at banquets on Mount Olympus. In the U.S, references to a yummy fruit salad known as “Ambrosia Salad” started in the early 1800s. While no one knows the exact origins, food historians can trace it back to the American South, and even though there are as many different kinds of fruit salad as there are chefs making it, everyone has their own opinion on what makes a “true” Ambrosia Salad recipe.
MORE EASY HOLIDAY DESSERT SALADS
If you’re looking for other yummy and unique dessert salads, check out some of these:
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY AMBROSIA SALAD
- Using a hand mixer, whip the heavy cream until it holds soft peaks, then add in the powdered sugar.
- Whip until it makes a stiff whipped cream then add in the rest of the ingredients and stir gently.
- Add in the cranberries, pineapple, coconut flakes and marshmallows and serve immediately.
VARIATIONS ON CRANBERRY AMBROSIA SALAD
- Fruit: Sliced mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries or kiwi fruit would be great additions. If you want a Cranberry Salad recipe for Thanksgiving, and don’t mind Cranberry salad with canned cranberries, you can use cranberry sauce from a can.
- Creamy Mix-ins: You can use cool whip, sour cream, greek yogurt or cream cheese for a different texture.
- Nuts: Chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds are a great topping for ambrosia salad too.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CRANBERRY AMBROSIA SALAD
HOW LONG IS CRANBERRY AMBROSIA SALAD GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave Cranberry Ambrosia Salad out for longer than about 2 hours. For best results, add in the fruit to the whipped cream right before you serve it.
- Store: Always refrigerate this salad. Either cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the salad into a sealable container, like Tupperware or a freezer bag. Cranberry Ambrosia Salad lasts for a couple of days if using cool whip.
- Freeze: Don’t freeze Cranberry Ambrosia Salad as it will change the texture of the salad since the cranberries are used fresh in this recipe and the whipped cream can break upon thawing.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Course: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Cranberry Ambrosia Salad is an easy retro holiday dessert salad recipe with whole cranberries, pineapple, coconut and whipped cream.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream , (you can use 4 cups Cool whip instead of cream and sugar)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries , (alternately you can pulse them too)
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks , drained
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Using a hand mixer, whip the heavy cream until it holds soft peaks then add in the powdered sugar.
Whip until it makes a stiff whipped cream then add in the rest of the ingredients and stir gently.
Add in the cranberries, pineapple, coconut flakes and marshmallows and serve immediately.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 304 calories, Calories: 304g, Carbohydrates: 61g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 27mg, Sodium: 40mg, Potassium: 106mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 48g, Vitamin A: 338g, Vitamin C: 10g, Calcium: 25g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.