Garlic Cheddar Chicken is the ultimate buttery and crispy baked chicken recipe with a bold garlic flavor and crunchy breadcrumb and cheese coating.
This crispy chicken is the perfect simple recipe for a quick Dinner. The tender chicken and crispy coating are similar to our Butter Chicken Recipe but with the delicious addition of bold garlic and tasty cheese.
Garlicky Cheddar Chicken is the most crave-worthy dinner idea ever. The buttery layer and bread coating give the baked chicken the taste and texture of Fried Chicken, but it’s much easier to make and healthier. Plus, the dish gets extra flavor from garlic and delicious cheese.
This is an easy chicken dish to make when you don’t have a lot of energy but still want a homecooked meal. Prep the chicken dish with a garlic coating and cheese breading in a matter of minutes. Then pop the dish in the oven to bake for about a half-hour. Once it’s done you’ll have one of the most delicious recipes, packed with amazing flavor and ready for dinner time.
While the chicken is cooking, you can also make your favorite easy side dishes. The crispy chicken would taste perfect with Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Buttery Milk Boiled Corn, or Sauteed Green Beans. You can also sprinkle some shredded parmesan and cheddar cheese over the sides for a melty cheese topping to go with the cheesy chicken.
MORE BAKED CHICKEN
- Chicken breast: Boneless chicken breast is ideal for this recipe because they’re nice and tender, low in fat, and stay juicy while the outside bakes into crisp perfection.
- Garlic butter: Cooking the garlic into melted butter is an easy way to add flavor to the chicken. All you have to do is coat the chicken in the butter mixture. It gives the dish the same buttery flavor as fried chicken without all the work.
- Cheese: This recipe uses a combination of cheddar and parmesan cheese in the outer layer. Both kinds of cheese brown and crisp up while the recipe is baking, but they don’t burn. They keep their sharp flavor, which goes amazing with the garlic.
- Crispy bread crumbs: Along with the cheese, the outside coating uses crispy bread crumbs. Simply mix the dry bread crumbs with the shredded cheese then coat the chicken in the delicious, cheesy bread crumb mixture.
- Prep time: Before prepping the ingredients, preheat the oven and grease the baking sheet.
- Garlic butter: Add the butter and minced garlic to a small saucepan. Then turn the stovetop to medium-low heat. Stir and cook the melted butter and garlic mixture for 3 minutes.
- Coating: Add the panko breadcrumbs, grated cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Then add flour to a shallow bowl or flat plate. Dip chicken breasts in the flour on both sides. Then coat the chicken in garlic butter mixture. Finally, coat it all in the cheese breading.
- Cooking time: Place the chicken on the prepared baking dish. Drizzle any remaining melted butter over the top of the chicken. Put the dish in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes until baked through and golden brown on the outside.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Cracker coating: Instead of panko breadcrumbs, you can try using Ritz crackers to make delicious cracker crumbs. It’s an equally tasty way to make a crispy chicken coating.
- Spices: You can also add different flavors to the recipe by mixing different spices with the garlic butter mixture. Try adding onion powder, mustard powder, paprika, oregano, or red pepper flakes.
- Cheese: If you want to try different kinds of cheese, mozzarella, provolone, muenster, gouda, Pepper Jack, or Swiss would taste amazing.
SIDES TO SERVE WITH CHEDDAR CHICKEN
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Don’t leave Garlic Cheddar Chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours at a time.
- Store: Let the dish cool to room temperature before you put leftovers in an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can also seal the chicken and keep it in the freezer for 4 months. To keep the outside of the chicken crispy, reheat it in the oven.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts , butterflied into 2 thin cutlets
- 1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- Add butter and garlic to a small saucepan on medium-low heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Add the flour to a flat plate.
- Dip the chicken into the flour on both sides, then into the butter mixture, and finally into the cheese and breadcrumb mixture.
- Place onto the greased baking sheet.
- Top with any remaining butter (if you have any).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust has browned.