Super Crispy Fried Chicken made with buttermilk, chicken, hot sauce, and seasoned flour is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, PERFECT for dinner or to bring to a potluck or picnic!
SUPER CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN
Super Crispy Fried Chicken is one of my all-time favorite go-to chicken recipes, made with juicy chicken coated in buttermilk and all purpose flour, then fried to perfection. You can make this chicken more or less spicy using cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes in the flour.
Or just use the buttermilk and flour with some salt and pepper for a mild flavor. Either way, this is restaurant quality, and you’ll want to make fried chicken at home from now on!
First things first, you need to menu plan. Side Dishes are a great place to start:
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRIED CHICKEN?
- Easy Cole Slaw (Coleslaw)
- Easy Macaroni Salad
- Best EVER Baked Beans
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Potato Salad
WHAT IS THE BEST OIL FOR FRYING CHICKEN?
Personally I like to go with canola oil, because it has a higher smoke point, meaning it can take more heat before it starts burning. You can also use peanut oil, coconut oil or lard to make this fried chicken recipe.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN?
- I recommend using a real cast iron skillet or dutch oven for any frying recipe. The heat conducts better, keeping a steadier oil temperature.
- Add a tablespoon of corn starch to the flour to make the chicken extra crispy.
- Place your chicken on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. You can line the baking sheet with paper towels to catch the oil. This lets the chicken cool while the oil drips off.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CRISPY OVEN FRIED CHICKEN?
You can make this fried chicken recipe in the oven if you want to cut down on the oil and calories. Just coat the chicken as usual, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving room between each piece.
Coat with cooking spray on each side, then bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes, turn over and bake another 25 minutes or until crispy. If you want extra crispy, turn the broiler on for a minute, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW LONG WILL FRIED CHICKEN KEEP?
Fried chicken will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container, but it may not be as crispy when reheated. You can also freeze this, then reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
TIPS FOR MAKING FRIED CHICKEN
- You can buy a whole chicken and take apart the pieces, or you can just make drumsticks and thighs, depending on your preference.
- Make the seasoned flour mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container for anytime you want to make this recipe!
- I recommend using a thermometer to measure your oil temperature, which will take a lot of the guess work out of the process!
- I like to make this with the skin on, but you can make it with boneless skinless chicken, too.
- 4 pound chicken (cut into 8 pieces with the backbone discarded)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce optional
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- canola oil for frying
- Mix the chicken pieces, buttermilk, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Mix the paprika with the flour in a medium bowl with a baking sheet set up next to it.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, then add each chicken piece to the flour, coating well, then place onto the baking sheet and let sit for at least 30 minutes (the flour will become paste-like).
- Add a large dutch oven ½ full with canola oil heated to 365 degrees and fry in batches (do not crowd the pan) of 4 pieces, cooking for 10-12 minutes (check for 165 degrees and that the chicken is cooked through).