Crispy butter chicken is an easy oven baked fried chicken with just a few ingredients in 30 minutes that your kids will LOVE!
There’s more than one way to fry a chicken. I’ve done Crispy Fried Chicken, Pioneer Take-Out Fried Chicken and Oven Fried Chicken, and crispy butter chicken is next in line.
CRISPY BUTTER CHICKEN
This is an easy recipe to make on weeknights or when you don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking. Crunchy, crispy and with a rich taste you’d swear comes from a fancy restaurant, butter chicken is sure to be one of your new favorite recipes.
The thing I love about this recipe is the quick and easy dinner it makes. We keep the cracker crumbs ready ahead of time. If you want to crush a box of Ritz crackers ahead of time and keep them in your pantry, this recipe will take you less time to prepare than it takes for your oven to heat up!
I also use 6 ounce chicken breasts for this recipe, so if your chicken is much larger you may need to increase your cooking time. Some grocery stores sell chicken breasts that can weigh over 10 ounces each, so just be aware that you need to cook to doneness versus only following the time listed.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BUTTER CHICKEN
- Start by preheating the oven.
- Whisk your eggs in a shallow bowl and put your cracker crumbs into a separate bowl.
- Dry the chicken with a paper towel and then dip it into the eggs.
- Once covered, dredge the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture until it is thoroughly covered.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Cut pieces of butter and put them in the pan around the chicken.
- Put the whole thing in the oven and let it cook until it’s golden brown.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Seasoning: if you want a specific flavor, you can add Cajun or Italian seasoning into the breadcrumb mixture to infuse it with a different splash of flavor.
- Garlic butter: melt pieces of butter in the microwave and mix in a healthy portion of garlic powder. You can either freeze it into a solid for the next time you make crispy chicken or pour the melted butter onto the chicken before you bake it.
- Cheese: mix parmesan in the breadcrumbs to give the chicken a richer, cheesy flavor. Keep in mind that the cheese can make the chicken fuse to the glass baking pan, so you will want to grease it first with cooking spray or olive oil.
What to serve with Crispy Butter Chicken:
- Rainbow Roasted Vegetables: veggies never looked so good. This is a fun one to make, since you get to arrange a mini rainbow on a baking sheet.
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes: mashed potatoes with fried chicken is an American classic, and these potatoes are rich, creamy and full of flavor.
- Baked Mac and Cheese: this Mac and cheese is gourmet and the cheese is crispy, which makes it a side that may make a fight break out when it’s time for seconds (if you’re feeling nice, you might share. Maybe.)
- Easy Cole Slaw: Cole Slaw is so tasty and easy to make that you’ll wonder why you don’t have it every night (after trying this recipe, you may want to.)
FRIED CHICKEN TRIVIA
- July 6th is National Fried Chicken Day in the United States. Celebrate appropriately by making this recipe!
- Shockingly, fried chicken didn’t come from Kentucky (and the first KFC was actually in Salt Lake City, Utah.) The first version of fried chicken was called chicken fritters, and comes from Europe (specifically Scotland) during the Middle Ages.
- It takes a special kind of chicken. No, really, you can’t just pick up any old chicken and deep fry it (please don’t do that anyway.) Chickens suitable for frying are called “broilers,” and are the majority of chickens you find at your grocery store.
Chicken Cooking Safety
According to the USDA’s official site, chicken is considered cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (73.8 degrees C).
Don’t serve undercooked chicken or it may be a while before your dinner guests call you back.
HOW LONG IS CRISPY BUTTER CHICKEN GOOD?
- Serve: don’t leave cooked chicken out for longer than 2 hours at room temperature. If you left the leftovers out last night, I’m sorry but it’s time to say goodbye.
- Store: this chicken recipe is good in the fridge for about 3 days before it goes bad.
- Freeze: cooked chicken can stay frozen in an airtight container for about 4 months.
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless skinless (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter , cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place eggs and cracker crumbs in two separate shallow bowls.
- Mix cracker crumbs with garlic salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken in the eggs, then dredge in the crumb mixture to coat.
- Arrange coated chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place pieces of butter on top of the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
How much Cajun seasoning should I add to the crackers?
A good substitute for the Ritz crackers is Town House Original crackers from Safeway, they taste exactly the same
Thank you for the recipe, this the 2nd time I made it and the 1st time was delicious so I’m hoping the same for the 2nd.?
Can I use 6 breast instead of 4 and keep the rest of the recipe the same?
Turned out awesome
Marinated chicken thighs that were boneless and skinless in buttermilk overnight. Made the chicken per receipt delicious best chicken thighs I’ve had. Next time I will make it with chicken breast. Thanks so much for an exceptional recipe!!
I use crushed Ritz on pork chops so I have experimented on chicken breasts. Never thought of butter. I always fried them in oil then baked them off. Parchment paper helps keep the breading from sticking. Now you have me thinking…
This chicken dish is delicious! I’ve made it twice, last time I used real butter and this time I used plant butter and will only use real butter. The flavor is much better
Why do the instructions say to place butter around the chicken but the photo shows it on top of the chicken?
This recipe was so simple and so delicious! My two boys and husband loved it. The chicken was crusty on the outside but juicy inside — so tender and flavorful!
I have not made this yet, but I know my picky kids will love it! My question is this though, I have one with celiac‘s disease so gluten is out of the question. Would I be able to substitute the crackers for gluten-free breadcrumbs?
Of course 🙂
What can you have with it
I have a few suggestions in the post above the recipe. I’d recommend rainbow roasted vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, baked Mac and cheese or cole slaw. Enjoy!
I have tried it and childern loved it and asking to cook it again and again.
Made this for dinner tonite, we loved it. I used chicken tenders.
Made this several times already, always a hit with the kids! Soooo gooood!
Yay!! Thanks for coming back to let me know, Rama.
Easy, fast and tastes good! It’s a keep when everyone likes it
Do you flip it at all? Does the bottom get soggy from the butter?
You can flip it halfway. 🙂
Delicious! Next time I’ll cook on a metal rack to crisp up the bottom too. Thanks for the tasty and EASY recipe!
I made the Crispy Butter Chicken tonight, and it was a melt in your mouth experience. The flavor is deep and rich. I did have to use crushed potato chips instead of Ritz Crackers, but I’m sure the crackers would be just as good. If using potato chips, substitute garlic powder for garlic salt. I sent the recipe to family members and will make again soon. I cut the butter down to 1/4 cup. It was still very buttery.
Thanks for the substitution recommendation. Glad you enjoyed it so much you wanted to share!
This chicken was yummy and super tender although not as crispy as I would have liked. I will skip the butter next time and just spray with cooking spray. Next time, I would also season the chicken and egg wash too. Great dish!
This tastes sooooo good! My new fav way to have chicken!
Yay!! Thanks for the 5 stars, Michelle.
I was skeptical because it sounded too easy! It was very good and the entire family loved it!!
So glad you decided to give it a try, Shawnda. Thanks for the 5 stars.
Would chicken thighs work also?
Yes, I’d skin them though.
Can I put this together ahead of time and bake later or will the crumbs get soggy?
If you put together and freeze it would be fine, but I would not recommend letting it sit in the fridge with the breading.
Loved this recipe! I am wondering is there a way to make it a little healthier by substituting olive oil for the butter? I just wasn’t sure if the chicken might be dry – anny suggestions would be helpful! Thank you
I haven’t tested it so I’m not comfortable giving a recommendation. If you decide to try, I’d love to know how it turns out.
This recipe was very good and easy to make.
So happy to hear that! Thank you for the review!
This was A-MAZING!!!! I didn’t have garlic salt. So I used regular salt and garlic powder and just omg! I’m so happy I decided to not be lazy today and cook dinner. Love it!!!!!!!
Easy dinner for the win!! Thanks for the 5 stars Danielle.
This looks so easy and delish. Will make this later. Problem is we ran out of ritz crackers. What is good sub for breading? Thanks!
Thank you so much! You can use breadcrumbs or any other cracker crushed up as a topping. I just prefer the buttery flavor of ritz. I hope you enjoy it.
This looks so yummy, and very versatile. I bet it would even be tasty on top of a salad. Can’t wait to make it for my family!
Yes, it’s very versatile. You can enjoy it so many ways.
My kids really loved it! Really crispy and tasty!
So glad you all enjoyed it, Toni.
We absolutely LOVE this chicken! One of our menu staples!
Fantastic! Thanks for the 5 stars.
This chicken is SOOO amazing! My whole family loved it. Thanks for sharing!
It’s always a winner here too.
This is kid favorite at our house. Love how easy it is!
I’m so happy to hear that!
I make a similar chicken dish with 3 ingredients which we call Ritz cracker chicken. Preheat oven to 350º. Melt butter in a 9×13″ pan. Cut chicken breasts (or any pieces you prefer) in strips. Crumble one sleeve of Ritz crackers. Dredge chicken in butter, then cracker crumbs. Place back in pan. Bake for 1 hour. Relish!