Buttery Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken makes the juiciest, buttery chicken in 30 minutes with bold and refreshing flavors from lemon juice and garlic powder.
This recipe makes the perfect Chicken Dinner for a simple weeknight meal that’s packed with buttery and citrus flavor. For more chicken with a refreshing lemon taste, try our Chinese Lemon Chicken and Slow Cooker Creamy Lemon Chicken Recipe.
BUTTERY LEMON GARLIC BAKED CHICKEN
Buttery Lemon Garlic Chicken is such a delicious comfort food dish. The lemon and garlic add tart and bold flavors to the oven-roasted chicken, while the butter makes it wonderfully rich and tender. Baking the chicken with pats of butter on top makes it so that the butter melts in the oven, pools over the chicken, and soaks into the meat for the ultimate juicy chicken dish.
Because baked lemon chicken has a bold, zingy lemon flavor, it is perfect to serve with simple food for the side dishes. For some basic and filling sides, you can serve the oven-roasted chicken with Mashed Potatoes or Brown Rice. Spoon any remaining lemony cooking liquid over the top of the sides and garnish with lemon slices to give the entire dish the same amazing flavor profile.
If you want a more refreshing meal with some crisp vegetables, you can serve the baked lemon chicken with a salad. It would taste great with a Wedge Salad or Italian Salad, especially if you top the salad off with a zesty lemon dressing.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
BAKING TIPS FOR BUTTERY LEMON GARLIC BAKED CHICKEN
- Prep: If the boneless, skinless chicken breasts are frozen, make sure you put them in the fridge a day ahead of time so that they have time to thaw before starting the recipe. Once the chicken has thawed, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, and use a kitchen mallet to pound the chicken into an even thickness.
- Lemon and garlic: Add the lemon juice to a shallow bowl, and drench each piece of chicken in the mixture. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then sprinkle garlic powder on each side.
- Cooking time: Place the seasoned chicken in the baking dish, and add sliced pats of butter over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then use an instant-read thermometer at the thickest point to check if the chicken is done. If the cooking thermometer doesn’t reach at least 165 degrees, spoon cooking liquid over the top of the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BUTTERY LEMON GARLIC BAKED CHICKEN
- Seasonings: You can try different flavors in this recipe by using fresh herbs and spices. Try sprinkling some paprika, onion powder, chili pepper flakes, parsley, thyme, rosemary, or an Italian seasoning mixture over the chicken.
- Add-ins: For more flavor additions, try slicing up some mushrooms, green beans, or spinach to serve with your chicken dish. You can also sauté onions and minced garlic cloves in butter, then add them to the pan to bake along with the chicken.
- Lemon butter sauce: You can use any excess cooking liquid in the baking dish as a lemon garlic sauce to serve along with the Buttery Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken recipe. However, if you want even more lemony flavor, you can make an additional lemon butter sauce to pour over the dish before serving. To make the lemon butter sauce add 8 tablespoons butter, and 2 cloves minced garlic to a saucepan. Heat until fragrant and browned. Then add ¼ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup lemon juice. Whisk the ingredients together and cook the lemon butter sauce for 2 minutes before pouring it over the cooked chicken.
HOW TO STORE BUTTERY LEMON GARLIC BAKED CHICKEN
- Serve: After cooking, you shouldn’t leave chicken at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Baked Lemon Chicken cool down, then transfer chicken to a Ziploc bag or another airtight container to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also seal and freeze the Buttery Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken recipe for up to 6 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating the meal.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts , boneless and skinless, and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish or large oven-safe skillet.
- Mix together salt, pepper, flour and garlic powder in a low flat bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the lemon juice and press into the flour mixture.
- Place the chicken into the baking dish and top with slices of butter.
- Cook, uncovered for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.