HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD MEN
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses, egg and water.
- In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each into a disk; cover.
- Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MAKE GINGERBREAD MEN AHEAD OF TIME
HOW TO MAKE ROYAL ICING
- 2 pounds Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 whole large egg whites
Beat the powdered sugar, milk, and egg whites until thick but able to be piped. If too thick, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time. Add to piping bag.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool before attempting to decorate. Put on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30-60 minutes if needed.
- Use a fine tip for precise lines. You can always go back and add to the line if it’s too thin.
- Keep intricate designs and different icing colors from blending together by chilling in freezer for 15-20 minutes at a time between decorative piping.
- Score the dough, before baking, as a guide for icing when cool. You can get special food stamps that will give you perfectly uniform face and button imprints on your cookies.
- If you aren’t confident with your piping skills quite yet, skip icing your Gingerbread Men. Instead, score or stamp your cookies before baking.
HOW TO STORE GINGERBREAD MEN
- Serve: Give your gingerbread men about 2-3 hours for the icing to set if you are transporting or storing.
- Store: Keep gingerbread cookies sealed in an air-tight container for up to a week.
- Freeze: You can freeze these cookies or the raw cookie dough for up to 3 months in an air-tight container.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar , packed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In your stand mixer, add the butter and brown sugar and on medium speed, cream until light and fluffy.
- Add in molasses, egg and water until it makes a smooth mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- On the lowest speed setting add the flour mixture to the stand mixer until just combined.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Flour a smooth surface and your rolling pin and roll each portion of dough to about ⅛ - 1/4" thick.
- Press cookies out with gingerbread men cookie cutters or any other shape you'd like to use.
- Place the cookies 1" apart on the baking sheet (these cookies should not spread very much).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, your don't want the edges to brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet to cool completely before frosting.