Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy are delicious and comforting, with beef patties simmered to perfection in a caramelized mushroom sauce.
Hamburger Steak is made with a simple ground beef and breadcrumb mixture, similar to classic Hamburger Patties. Instead of serving it up in a sandwich, the Hamburger Steak recipe is flavorful and tender enough to enjoy as a simple Main Dish with your favorite comforting Sides.
HAMBURGER STEAKS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Hamburger Steaks are a family favorite recipe for easy and tender steak dinners. Unlike most steak recipes where you need cuts of steak, this recipe uses ground beef. The meat is mixed with bread crumbs, eggs, salt, and pepper. Then the steak ingredients are formed into patties to cook. It’s finished with a simple, creamy mushroom gravy full of rich flavors.
Even if you’re not a huge fan of mushrooms, this savory mushroom sauce might win you over. It’s quick, creamy, and adds tons of flavor to the whole recipe.
To finish the hearty meal, serve it with other classic comfort food dishes for your sides. Mashed Potatoes make the perfect pairing for the finished dish since they also taste incredible with the mushroom gravy poured over the top. Other potato dishes like Scalloped Potatoes or Potatoes au Gratin are excellent choices, too. And of course, a classic vegetable side dish like Roasted Broccoli or Green Beans would be a great way to finish the plate.
MORE STEAK OPTIONS
COOKING TIPS FOR HAMBURGER STEAKS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Ground beef patties: Add the ground beef, egg, ½ cup breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix the beef mixture together, and then press them into oval-shaped meat patties. Then put a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place the patties in the pan and cook on each side for 5-6 minutes until browned. Then remove the patties from the pan, and cover them to keep them warm.
- Sautéed mushrooms: Add 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet that’s still warm, then add the mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook while stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms are caramelized.
- Sauce: Add in the remaining butter and flour and continue stirring until the flour is absorbed. Slowly stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Let it simmer over medium heat for 4-5 minutes while the sauce thickens.
- Finish: Return patties to the pan, and let them warm in the creamy mushroom sauce for 1 minute. Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON HAMBURGER STEAKS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Spicy hamburger steaks: To make the classic dish spicy, try adding in spices like red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. The spices can add a lot of heat, so only add a little bit at a time to make sure it’s not too spicy to enjoy.
- Seasoned ground beef: Delicious Hamburger Steaks have plenty of flavor already in this recipe, but if you want some extra flavor you can add some different spices and seasonings. Try adding fresh thyme, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or an Italian seasoning blend.
- Healthier recipe: If you want to make this dish a little bit lighter, just use lean ground beef in the patty. The leaner meat won’t be quite as juicy or flavorful, but the mushroom gravy will still add flavor to the dish.
- Mushrooms: Instead of cremini mushrooms, you can try using white button mushrooms, wild mushrooms, or shiitake mushrooms.
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: After cooking, you shouldn’t leave steak at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the dish cool down completely, then transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. The recipe will stay good for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: To keep the recipe longer, you can put it in a sealable container and freeze it for up to 4 months.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt , divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl add beef, egg, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Shape into four patties.
- To a heavy cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat add the patties, cooking for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove the patties and cover to keep warm.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet along with the mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until mushrooms are caramelized.
- Add in the remaining butter and flour, stir well until flour is absorbed.
- Slowly stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and let simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Add beef patties back into the pan for 1 minute to warm them through and serve with mashed potatoes or your favorite potato side dish.