Easy Cube Steak with Gravy is ultimate comfort food, browned cube steaks and caramelized onions in a rich gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes!
When you are craving a hearty steak dinner on a budget, you can’t go wrong with a cheap hamburger steak for Salisbury Steak or this cubed steak. Cubed steaks are an inexpensive quick cooking cut of beef, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t flavorful as a top sirloin. With a little tenderizing and a delicious gravy recipe, you get a budget friendly dinner full of home cooked flavor.
With simple ingredients from your pantry, plus no packaged gravy mix or deep frying, this is sure to be your new favorite Cube Steak recipe. It’s a fast weeknight meal that is lighter on the calories since the cube steak isn’t dredged in flour and fried. The easy gravy recipe is made with the pan drippings for rich beefy meat taste. Caramelized onions finish it off for the perfect combination of wonderful flavors.
Cube Steak with Gravy is an easy delicious everyday recipe to serve with your favorite easy side dishes like Mashed Potatoes and Sautéed Green Beans. A side of Dinner Rolls is perfect for soaking up any extra gravy. Turn this into one of your go-to Crock Pot Recipes for lazy, but tasty Sunday dinners with our variation later in this post.
Easy Side Dishes for Cube Steak with Gravy
Tips for Making Cube Steak with Gravy
- Cube Steaks are best cooked in a cast iron pan or a large skillet, so you can cook them evenly all at once and get a nice crust, without overcrowding the pan.
- If you only have a medium sized skillet, cook in batches. An overcrowded pan lowers the oil temperature, causing you to cook the meat longer. Your meat will be overcooked and oily.
- Tenderizing the cube steak is really important to get a flavorful, evenly cooked, tender cut of beef that cooks fast.
- Flatten the meat with a tenderizer mallet until desired thickness, making sure they are all even so you don’t overcook them.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this Cube Steak recipe with any thin steak or cut of meat. Try chicken cutlets, boneless pork chops, or thin cut ribeye.
You can make an indulgent crispy fried coating. Mix ¼ cup flour (not flour for gravy) with paprika, salt and pepper, and coat meat in flour mixture. Fry in butter or vegetable oil, until golden browned and cooked through.
Sauté sliced mushrooms with the sliced onions to make an easy Mushroom Gravy for Cubed Steak. If you want a creamy mushroom onion gravy, stir in a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup along with the fresh mushrooms.
Season your cube steaks with more than salt and pepper. Try favorite flavors like onion powder, cumin, and garlic powder.
Add a package onion gravy mix, regular gravy mix, Au jus gravy mix, brown gravy mix, or onion soup mix with the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to thicken gravy without flour.
Crock Pot Cubed Steak with Gravy
- In hot skillet, sauté onions in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onions to slow cooker.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet and whisk in flour and cook one minute.
- Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Add to slow cooker with onions.
- In a skillet, brown seasoned and floured cube steaks for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place browned cube steaks in gravy in the crock pot. Cook on low, covered, for 6-8 hours.
More Favorite Recipes for Comfort Food