Easy Cube Steak with Gravy is the ultimate comfort food recipe of browned cube steaks with a rich gravy and caramelized onions. Serve with mashed potatoes!
CUBE STEAK WITH GRAVY
When you are craving a hearty steak dinner on a budget, you can’t go wrong with a cheap hamburger steak for Salisbury Steak or this cubed steak. Cubed steaks are an inexpensive quick cooking cut of beef but that doesn’t mean they aren’t flavorful as a top sirloin. With a little tenderizing and a delicious gravy recipe, you get a budget friendly dinner full of home cooked flavor.
With simple ingredients from your pantry, plus no packaged gravy mix or deep frying, this is sure to be your new favorite Cube Steak recipe. It’s a fast weeknight meal that is lighter on the calories since the cube steak isn’t dredged in flour and fried. The easy gravy recipe is made with the pan drippings for rich beefy meat taste. Caramelized onions finish it off for the perfect combination of wonderful flavors.
Cube Steak with Gravy is an easy delicious everyday recipes to serve with your favorite easy side dishes like Mashed Potatoes and Sautéed Green Beans. A side of Dinner Rolls is perfect for soaking up any extra gravy. Turn this into one of your go-to Crock Pot Recipes for lazy, but tasty Sunday dinners with our variation later in this post.
EASY SIDE DISHES FOR CUBED STEAK AND GRAVY
Tips for Making Cube Steak with Gravy
- Cube Steaks are best cooked in a cast iron pan or a large skillet, so you can cook them evenly all at once and get a nice crust, without overcrowding the pan.
- If you only have a medium sized skillet, cook in batches. An overcrowded pan lowers the oil temperature, causing you to cook the meat longer. Your meat will be overcooked and oily.
- Tenderizing the cube steak is really important to get a flavorful, evenly cooked, tender cut of beef that cooks fast.
- Flatten the meat tenderizer mallet until desired thickness, making sure they are all even so you don’t overcook them.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CUBE STEAK WITH GRAVY
- Meat: You can make this Cube Steak recipe with any thin steak or cut of meat. Try chicken cutlets, boneless pork chops, thin cut ribeye
- Fried: You can make an indulgent crispy fried coating. Mix ¼ cup flour (not flour for gravy) with paprika, salt and pepper, and coat meat in flour mixture. Fry in butter or vegetable oil, until golden browned and cooked through.
- Mushrooms: Sauté sliced mushrooms with the sliced onions to make an easy Mushroom Gravy for Cubed Steak. If you want a creamy mushroom onion gravy, stir in a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup along with the fresh mushrooms .
- Seasonings: Season your cube steaks with more than salt and pepper. Try favorite flavors like onion powder, cumin, garlic powder,
- Gravy: Add a package onion gravy mix, regular gravy mix, Au jus gravy mix, brown gravy mix, or onion soup mix with the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to thicken gravy without flour.
Crock Pot Cubed Steak with Gravy
- In hot skillet, sauté onions in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onions to slow cooker.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet and whisk in flour and cook one minute.
- Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Add to slow cooker with onions.
- In a skillet, brown seasoned and floured cube steaks for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place browned cube steaks in gravy in the crock pot. Cook on low, covered, for 6-8 hours.
MORE FAVORITE RECIPES FOR COMFORT FOOD
HOW TO STORE CUBE STEAK WITH GRAVY
- Serve: You can keep Cube Steak with Gravy at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
- Store: Store Cube Steak with Gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat over low heat on the stove top.
- Freeze: Once cooled, place Cube Steak and Gravy in a sealed container and freeze for up to three months.
- 4 cube steaks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 1 yellow onion , sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound the steaks on each side for 5-10 seconds to tenderize them.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 5-6 minutes until translucent, then remove the onions.
- Season the steaks with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cook cube steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side on medium high heat.
- Remove steaks, add remaining butter to the pan along with flour on high heat.
- Whisk well and cook flour for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth and creamy then let the broth cook for 4-5 minutes until boiling and thickened.
- Add steaks and onions back to the pan and coat with gravy before serving.