Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is an easy homemade ice cream recipe. Rich and creamy classic with cool mint flavor and dark chocolate chunks.
If you’ve tried Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, then you already know how easy and delicious rich, creamy ice cream is to make at home. Mint Ice Cream is another classic Frozen Treat to keep in your freezer all summer, if it lasts that long!
Homemade ice cream takes the creamy, chilled treat to a whole other level. You can experiment with fun flavors or stick to the classics, like this mint and chocolate combo. Instead of running out to the store, make your family favorites in your own kitchen with a simple ice-cream maker. It’s a fun project to do with your kids during the Summer break!
It’s hard to think of any other dessert quite as refreshing as Mint Chip Ice Cream. The peppermint extract adds a cooling flavor to the ice cream and the dark chocolate adds a deep, rich natural flavor of cocoa. Along with the chocolate and mint flavor, the Mint Ice Cream also gets a fun green color from food coloring. Just like a Shamrock Shake, the green color makes Homemade Mint Chocolate Ice Cream perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
When you’re making this Mint Chip Ice Cream recipe, feel free to fold in your favorite mix-ins, but don’t overdo it. Stick to about 1 cup total mix-ins. Serve with toppings to make this even more delicious without overloading the ice cream base. Try Hot Fudge, melted chocolate, crushed nuts, or Whipped Cream to make an ice cream shop worthy sundae.
More Frozen Desserts for Summer!
Ice Cream Tips
- Cream and Milk Base: Start the recipe by breaking the eggs and separating the yolk from the eggs. Then whisk together the egg yolks in a medium bowl until they’re well-combined and frothy. Put a saucepan over medium heat and add the sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and salt. Whisk the mixture non-stop until it comes to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Tempering the Eggs: Scoop ½ cup out of the mixture and add it to the egg yolks in a slow thin stream. Whisk continually while you pour it in. Then slowly pour the entire egg and milk mixture into the pot. Again, continue whisking as you go. Cook the mixture on low for 8-10 minutes until the cream thickens. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the milk will be scalded.
- Chill: Turn off the heat and pour the cream into a heatproof bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Finish: Take the cold cream from the fridge and whisk in green food coloring to get the perfect mint color. Fold in the chocolate and then pour the cream into the ice cream maker. Freeze for 3 hours before serving.
- Scoop: To easily scoop the hardened ice cream, run your ice cream scoop under hot water so it can easily cut through the ice cream and get the perfect round scoops of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Flavor options: One of the great things about this Mint Chip Ice Cream recipe is that you can use the same simple base to make most of your favorite ice cream flavors. Just replace the mint extract with whatever flavor you want to make a variety of delicious recipes. You can add in almond extract, strawberry extract, espresso powder, raspberry, or lemon juice.
- Chocolate Mint Ice Cream: To make Mint Chocolate Ice Cream mix in 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder at the same time you add in the mint extract.
- Chocolate Chips: Dark chocolate and cool mint pair wonderfully together, but you can use any kind of chocolate you want in the recipe. Try using semisweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips instead.
- Mint Cookies n’ Cream: What makes every dessert a million times better? Oreos! Fold in a ½ cup quartered Oreo cookies for a Mint Cookies n’ Cream Chocolate Chip Ice Cream everyone will go wild over! Pro tip: Wait until the ice cream has set for about an hour before folding in the cookies so they don’t soak up too much liquid or fall to the bottom.
More Mint Chocolate Treats!
How to Store
- Serve: Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream will melt quickly, so you shouldn’t leave it out for more than an hour or so.
- Store: Put the Chocolate Mint Ice Cream in an airtight container to keep in the freezer for about 2 months. Place a plastic wrap sheet between lid and container to collect moisture and keep your ice cream fresh!
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs well.
- In a medium saucepan add the rest of the sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla bean paste, and salt on medium heat.
- Whisk non-stop and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Add ½ cup vanilla bean mixture in a very slow thin stream to the egg yolks while whisking quickly (do not stop whisking).
- Pour the egg/chocolate mixture back into the pot slowly while whisking constantly.
- Cook until mixture is thickened, about 8-10 minutes (do not let boil, or milk will taste scalded).
- Turn off heat and pour into a metal bowl or other heatproof bowl.
- Let cool completely, then refrigerate (covered) for 2 hours.
- Whisk food coloring into the custard.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Add custard to your ice cream maker (per machine instructions) then freeze for at least 3 hours to harden before serving.