New York Crumb Loaf Cake is a coffee shop favorite on the go. Easy rich coffee cake with a buttery cinnamon crumble and cinnamon center baked in a loaf pan.
NEW YORK CRUMB LOAF CAKE
New York Crumb Loaf Cake is the buttery, rich coffee shop cake you love baked in a loaf pan with a sweet cinnamon surprise in the center. With a lighter crumble topping baked into the top of the cake, this recipe is great for breakfast on the go.
As fancy as it sounds, this New York Crumb Loaf Cake is actually very simple and most of the ingredients used are in both the crumble and the cake batter. It may seem like a lot of steps but it can be broken into 3 main steps: prepare the crumble, make the cake batter, assemble your cake. This cake is ready for the oven in about 15 minutes.
Before you make New York Crumb Loaf Cake, put your refrigerated ingredients on the counter for about 30 minutes, until the butter is softened. Bringing your eggs, butter, and milk to room temperature makes it easier for them to combine with less mixing and will give you a fluffier cake. Plus you won’t have to soften the butter in the microwave, aka less steps!
Serve New York Crumb Loaf Cake dusted with powdered sugar for breakfast or brunch with a cup of coffee and a side of berries. It is an easy, fancy cake perfect for holiday gifts too! For dessert, serve New York Crumb Loaf Cake with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and a drizzle of Salted Caramel Sauce.
You can make New York Crumb Loaf Cake ahead of time, either store a day or two at room temperature or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Cool your cake completely and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe bag. To serve, thaw in the on the countertop overnight and reheat at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
MORE DELICIOUS BREAKFAST RECIPES
VARIATIONS ON NEW YORK CRUMB LOAF CAKE
- Blueberries: Toss 1 cup fresh blueberries in a tablespoon of cake flour and then gently fold into cake batter to make Blueberry New York Crumb Loaf Cake.
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips can definitely go in this cake! Stir ½ cup dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate chips into the cake batter.
- Lemon: To make a Lemon Crumb Loaf Cake, omit the cinnamon in the topping and batter. Instead use 1 tablespoon lemon zest in the crumb topping. For the cake batter, add 4 tablespoons lemon zest and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- Buttermilk Substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk, substitute an equal amount of sour cream, plain yogurt, or whole milk.
- Crumble Center: Double the crumble mixture and use half for the inside of the cake instead of the cinnamon cake batter. You may have extra cake batter so be careful not to fill your loaf pan too full.
MORE DELICIOUS CINNAMON RECIPES
HOW TO STORE NEW YORK CRUMB LOAF CAKE
- Serve: New York Crumb Loaf Cake can be at room temperature up to 3 days. Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in a cool, dry place.
- Store: Refrigerate this crumb cake covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature to serve.
- Freeze: Wrap your cake tightly in plastic wrap and place in a sealed container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter overnight to serve.
New York Crumb Loaf Cake
- Yield: 10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and still warm
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, brown sugar, salt, cake flour, and cinnamon from the topping part of the recipe then cut the butter in until it resembles small chunks the size of peas.
Put the mixture in the fridge while you make the bread batter.
In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
On low speed, add butter in pieces.
Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until you no longer see the butter and the mixture looks like a crumble.
Add in your remaining cake ingredients, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk.
Mix until light and fluffy, another 1-2 minutes.
In a separate bowl combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon with ⅓ the cake batter to make cinnamon batter.
Pour half the regular cake batter into the loaf pan, then cover evenly with the cinnamon cake batter mixture.
Pour the remaining cake batter into the loaf pan.
Cover evenly with the crumb topping.
Bake for 50-55 minutes, let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the loaf pan to cool completely.
Yield: 10 , Amount per serving: 389 calories, Calories: 389g, Carbohydrates: 52g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 79mg, Sodium: 135mg, Potassium: 64mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 24g, Vitamin A: 553g, Calcium: 36g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.