Nutella Pastry Twists are a fun pastry, perfect for breakfast or dessert. Easily made with puff pastry and ready in just 30 minutes.
We love easy Dessert Recipes, especially when they only require a few ingredients to make. By using puff pastry for this recipe and others, like our Cherry Turnovers, you still get a light and flaky pastry but without any added work of making your own dough.
NUTELLA PASTRY TWISTS
Raise your hand if you are obsessed with Nutella. The delicious chocolate and hazelnut spread will quickly stay on your cravings list after just one spoonful. These pastry twists make Nutella the star of the show and really highlights how useful and delicious this dessert spread is.
This pastry twists recipe is so versatile and could be served as an appetizer for your next party, an on the go breakfast, added to your brunch spread or paired with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. So many delicious ways to enjoy them!
Using puff pastry really makes these twists come together easily. No need to make handmade dough from scratch, simply pull it to of the freezer and give it time to thaw. You can place them in the refrigerator overnight so that it becomes easy to work with without being too soft. In a pinch, you can leave it out on the countertop to thaw but keep a close eye on it.
Though Nutella is easy to find in most grocery stores, if you decided you want to make your own, check out our Homemade Nutella recipe. You can store it in an airtight container or mason jar and it’ll keep for up to 2 weeks at room temperature.
MORE TASTY SNACK RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE NUTELLA PASTRY TWISTS
- Puff pastry: Make sure the puff pastry dough is cold so that you can slice it easily without smashing it.
- Nutella: If Nutellla is too hard to spread, you can microwave it on half power for a few seconds.
- Egg wash: Egg wash makes sure the pastry is shiny and golden brown and helps sanding sugar stick to the twists.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON NUTELLA PASTRY TWISTS
- Chocolate: For even more chocolate goodness, add chocolate shavings or dark chocolate chips to the Nutella spread or drizzle chocolate over the top once done baking.
- Nuts: Sprinkle crushed or chopped hazelnuts or slivered almonds to the Nutella filling.
- Espresso: Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of espresso to your spread. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Spread: Add in a fruit jam to the spread like strawberry or raspberry.
MORE FUN DESSERT RECIPES
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE
- Serve: These pastry twists will last up to a week in a storage container for up to a week.
- Store: If you store them in the refrigerator, you’ll extend the freshness of the twists for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze: These twists are able to be frozen in a freezer-safe storage bag or container for up to 3 months.
- 1 17.3-oz. package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry , thawed but cold
- flour , for dusting work surface
- 1 cup Nutella , or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 large egg
- coarse sanding sugar , optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it with cooking spray.
- Unfold one sheet of the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, lightly roll the pastry to seal together any folds.
- Spread Nutella onto the flattened puff pastry dough.
- Flatten the second sheet of puff pastry dough and place on top of the first sheet.
- Cut the dough into one-inch-wide strips and twist each strip into a twist and place on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg then brush it onto the twists.
- Sprinkle the twists with sanding sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the twists from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet.