Philly Cheesesteak Cheesy Bread is cheesy, crunchy and full of cheese steak flavors with ribeye, green bell peppers, onions and mushrooms.
We LOVE all things philly cheesesteak around here including Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes, Ground Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese and Pat’s Philly Cheese Steak (Copycat) and about 10 other Philly recipes!
The flavors of Philly Cheesesteaks are so perfect together, with savory tender beef, complemented by the onions, mushrooms and peppers all grilled to perfection, and topped with melty provolone cheese. It’s no wonder this flavor combination makes it into so many recipes on this site! In fact three of the most popular recipes on the site are the sloppy joes, the grilled cheese and these outrageous Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches which you’ll love to make all through the fall season.
Frequently Asked Questions
Philly Cheesesteaks are classically made using thinly sliced ribeye meat. You can certainly use other cuts but they may not be as tender. The slices you’ll use in the cheesy bread are thicker than the slices found in a traditional cheesesteak because you are cooking them for a much longer amount of time in the oven and want to be sure they still stay tender. Other tender cuts of meat like flap meat or very well marbled New York steaks may also be substituted.
The best way to cut a steak thinly is to freeze it partially before slicing. 1-2 hours in the freezer is enough to make slicing a breeze and the meat defrosts naturally in just five minutes once sliced.
The mayonnaise adds moisture to the mixture to create a tender and chewy cheesy bread. If you skip it you may end up with a texture more similar to a crostini with steak and cheese on top. If you substitute the mayonnaise with butter you may find that the bread is still crispier rather than softer.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
More Delicious Cheesesteak Recipes
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- Philly Cheese Steak Burgers
- Philly Cheesesteak Hamburger Helper
How to Store Philly Cheesesteak Cheesy Bread
- Serve: Philly Cheesesteak Cheesy Bread can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, Philly Cheesesteak Cheesy Bread will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven at 375 degrees.
- Freeze: Philly Cheesesteak Cheesy Bread will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- 8 ounces Ribeye Steak , thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper , divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper , sliced
- 1 yellow onion , sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms , sliced
- 1 loaf French bread , cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces Provolone cheese , sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the steak with half of the salt and pepper and all the canola oil.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat and cook the steak for 2 minutes without stiring or flipping.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Remove from the pan and add in the butter, green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and the rest of the salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Spread mayonnaise over both halves of the bread.
- Cover with half of the provolone cheese, then add the steak and vegetables along with the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes on the middle rack until browned.
Photos used in a previous version of this post.
I’m from Philly and green peppers do NOT go in a cheese steak (unless requested)!!!!! A real Philly cheese steak is served on a long roll with steak and cheese everything else is requested by the customer.
Other than that this was pretty good!
This was amazing!! I did add garlic powder on top of the bread and also used mozzarella cheese and added sliced jalapeños on top. I couldn’t get enough it was so good!! Very easy to make too.
This was amazing!! I did added garlic powder on top of the bread and also used mozzarella cheese and added sliced jalapeños on top. I couldn’t get enough it was so good!! Very easy too make too.
This recipe was delicious! I would highly recommend it. My family loved it.
Show More Comments