Philly Cheesesteak Dip is the ultimate party appetizer made flavorful with steak, bell peppers, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, and Velveeta cheese.
This is the perfect Appetizer Recipe to serve with chips at your next big get-together or super bowl party. Just like Queso Dip, or Jalapeno Popper Dip, it’s an easy, cheesy recipe that’s quick to make and always a hit with a crowd!
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK DIP
Philly Cheesesteaks are a regional classic that we absolutely love. In fact, we love the flavor of a classic Philly Cheesesteak so much it has inspired a bunch of recipes on the site. You can find Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes and Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells for weeknight dinner ideas. However, if you need a flavorful appetizer or side, this Philly Cheese Steak Dip is the way to go!
Philly Cheesesteak Dip is easy to make in a large pan on the stove over medium heat. You just combine the steak, green peppers, and then start adding the sauce and creamy ingredients. It all comes together in about 20 minutes and can be served still melty and warm.
There is always some debate on how to make the perfect cheesesteak mixture, especially when it comes to what cheese to use. Often, Philly Cheesesteaks are made with Cheez Whiz. If that’s an important part of the cheesesteak taste for you, just add some Cheeze Whiz to the top of the dip before serving. Similarly, if you don’t have Velveeta or Cheese Whiz, just use American cheese.
MORE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPES
WHAT TO SERVE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK DIP WITH
When you serve Philly Cheesesteak Dip, put it out still in the pan or in a serving bowl with an assortment of your favorite savory dippers on the side. There are plenty of different chips and crackers you can serve with your Cheesesteak Dip. Here are some of our favorites.
- Chips: As far as chips go the obvious choice is serving your dip with tortilla chips. Regular or blue tortilla chips would both taste great. You can also try bagel chips, Pita Chips, Fritos, or even onion crisps.
- Crackers: For crackers try Ritz crackers, buttery Club crackers, or wheat thins.
- Crusty Bread: You can also toast up some delicious crusty bread like Garlic Bread or Beer Bread to dip in the cheesy dip.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON PHILLY CHEESESTEAK DIP
- Cheese: Instead of Velveeta cheese, you can try adding some shredded cheese like American Cheese, white American cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar, white cheddar, parmesan cheese, or shredded provolone. You can also top the dip off with cheez whiz.
- Cream cheese: Instead of using a block of cream cheese, you can replace it with a cup of mayonnaise, sour cream, or Greek yogurt.
- Seasonings: For some extra flavor mix in a teaspoon garlic powder, Italian seasoning, or onion powder. You could even be more simple and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add-ins: Try mixing in some bacon bits, red peppers, green onions, or chives for garnish. You can also add red peppers along with the green pepper. Along with mixing the peppers into the dip, you can also add extra peppers for garnish.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK DIP
- Serve: Don’t leave Philly Cheesesteak Dip at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: To store the Cheesesteak Dip, cover it tightly, or put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge. The dip will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, the dairy base of this dip won’t freeze well. It is much better just to make a fresh batch.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped finely
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups steak , cooked and chopped
- Add butter, green bell pepper, and onion to a large skillet on medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add flour, salt and pepper into the pan, whisking until flour is absorbed.
- Add milk and Worchestershire sauce while whisking then bring to a simmer.
- Add cream cheese and Velveeta cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes until the dip begins to thicken then add in the chopped cooked steak and stir well, cooking for 1 minute until steak is warmed through.