This Popeye’s Coleslaw is the best coleslaw to go with fried chicken! Crispy green cabbage tossed in creamy dressing, easily made in minutes.
Who says you can’t pair KFC Original Recipe Chicken with Popeye’s side dishes like Cajun Rice and this Coleslaw? One of the best parts of Copycat Recipes is that you can mix and match your favorite fast food restaurant dishes!
When it comes to a good fried chicken dinner, the sides can decide which fast food restaurant is your family’s favorite. While they all claim to have the best coleslaw, we think Popeye’s Coleslaw is really tasty and it’s one of our top picks.
The folks at Business Insider gave Popeye’s Coleslaw a win for their tangy, sweet side dish in a head to head with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Even if you are a KFC Coleslaw diehard fan, it’s hard to deny that Popeye’s has a deliciously sweet and creamy coleslaw.
Now, when it comes to coleslaw, family traditions of how it “should” be made can play a big factor in whether you will like it or LOVE it. It may not be the homemade coleslaw you grew up with but you will love this Popeye’s Famous Coleslaw Recipe.
Unlike some coleslaw recipes, Popeye’s Coleslaw dressing does not have any buttermilk or lemon juice. It’s still packed with flavor from sweet pickle relish, dill pickle relish, and white vinegar. A little sugar and lot of mayonnaise make it a slightly sweet, creamy coleslaw.
To make sure the coleslaw dressing and cabbage mix really come together, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Coleslaw gets even better when you let it sit in the fridge overnight, so this is a great make ahead potluck side dish. The coleslaw dressing can be made separately up to a week in advance.
Popeye’s Coleslaw is perfect accompaniment for fried chicken, smoked meats like turkey or pork, and anything BBQ. Instead of a regular garden salad, serve this easy coleslaw with your favorite one pot dinner recipes like a casserole or slow cooker meal.
How to Serve Popeye’s Famous Coleslaw:
- Fried Chicken Dinner: Make a full fast food restaurant fried chicken dinner with KFC Original Chicken, Mac and Cheese and Mashed Potatoes.
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches: You’ll love to top a Pulled Pork Sandwich with a big scoop of creamy coleslaw and a side of Potato Wedges.
- Backyard BBQ: Serve this as a salad or appetizer along with your favorite BBQ dishes like Barbecue Ribs and Potato Salad.
MORE POPULAR RESTAURANT COPYCAT SIDE DISHES:
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON POPEYE’S COLESLAW
- Miracle Whip: To make a lighter version of Popeye’s Coleslaw, substitute Miracle Whip for the mayonnaise. Since Miracle Whip is sweeter, adjust the sugar and sweet pickle relish to your taste.
- Vinegar: Instead of white vinegar, try substituting apple cider vinegar. Or use more lemon juice and leave out the vinegar.
- Veggies: Dice up crunchy green pepper or jicama for more crunch. Stir in some grated zucchini or summer squash right before serving to make it a healthier, veggie packed coleslaw.
- Spices: Season with celery seed to balance out the sweetness and give the coleslaw a savory bite. For a spicy kick, mix in your favorite Cajun seasoning.
- Sour Cream: Make your coleslaw dressing creamier and tangier by swapping ¼ cup of the mayonnaise with sour cream.
COPYCAT DINNERS TO SERVE WITH COLESLAW
HOW TO STORE POPEYE’S COLESLAW
- Serve: This dish has a mayonnaise base so do not leave at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. The coleslaw dressing can be kept in the fridge separately for up to a week.
- Freeze: It is not recommended to freeze this coleslaw recipe since it has mayonnaise in it. Mayonnaise separates while frozen and doesn’t come together again when thawed.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 6 cups green cabbage , chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot , shredded
- 1/4 yellow onion , minced
- Add the mayonnaise, sugar, sweet relish, dill relish, white vinegar, vegetable oil and yellow mustard to a large bowl and whisk well together.
- Add the cabbage, carrot and onion and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Photos from a previous version of this post.