Seven Layer Bean Dip is the ultimate party dip, made with seasoned refried beans and layers of cheese, olives, sour cream, and more, and only takes minutes to throw together!
There’s nothing quite like that signature dip that makes its way into every party, and that’s why we’re busy perfecting our Jalapeno Popper Dip, Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip and Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Seven Layer Bean Dip
Seven Layer Bean Dip is a party classic, made with seven layers of the perfect dip ingredients like sour cream, salsa, cheese, tomatoes, olives, and more.
I honestly don’t remember when I started making this, because I feel like it’s just been a staple for every party we’ve ever thrown. I like to use taco seasoning in mine, but I’ve also made this with a packet of ranch seasoning, or without any seasoning at all.
Serve this Tex-Mex bean dip with a side of tortilla chips, potato chips, or a veggie tray. You can serve it warm or cold, but I always prefer it cold because it’s faster and it has yet to disappoint this way!
CAN YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD?
You can assemble seven layer bean dip the day before and wrap it tightly before refrigerating. If you’re doing a guacamole layer, make sure it uses lemon juice to prevent it from browning, and make it one of the middle layers. Bean dips can get condensation pretty easily, so while it will technically last longer, it will be at its best if served within a day.
Because we’re using dairy ingredients like sour cream and cheese, I wouldn’t leave this dip at room temperature for more than two hours before putting it back in the refrigerator.
HOW LONG DOES SEVEN LAYER DIP LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
Seven layer leftovers will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
DO YOU HAVE TO COOK THE REFRIED BEANS BEFORE LAYERING?
The only time you’d have to cook the refried beans is if you’re making them from scratch. If they’re coming from a can, you can just add it to the layer cold. If you notice the beans have a lot of fat, you can warm them up and stir before layering.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES TO SERVE
TIPS FOR MAKING SEVEN LAYER DIP
- The most important tip is to drain your salsa. DRAIN IT VERY WELL. Otherwise it will create a soggy mess.
- You can add additional layers to this dip like cooked ground beef or turkey, guacamole, green chiles, corn, or top with lettuce. Basically if it works with nachos, it’ll work on this bean dip. I’ve even crushed chips on top.
- You can use green olives or black olives, it’s a personal preference. I usually use black olives.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper and some pickled jalapenos to the refried beans to make this dish spicy. You can also use hot or medium salsa.
- Instead of diced tomatoes, add a layer of chopped bell peppers for a fresh crunchy layer.
- Sub the cheddar for other cheeses like pepper jack or queso fresco.
- Serve with lime wedges so your guests can add some fresh lime juice to their portion.
- You can use low fat refried beans, sour cream, and cheddar to cut down on some of the calories.
- Garnish with chopped green onions before serving.
- 32 ounces refried beans
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 cups sour cream , stirred first
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 cup olives , sliced
- 1 vine tomato , diced (discard seeds)
- 1 cup green onions , sliced
- Mix the refried beans with the taco seasoning and spread into the bottom layer of your casserole dish.
- Evenly spread the salsa, then the sour cream (with back of a spoon after stirring to loosen up), then sprinkle on the cheddar cheese, olives, tomatoes and green onions and refrigerate before serving.
Why do your recipes print out with the ads covering up the recipe????
Are you hitting the print button from the recipe card?
I bookmark recipes and save them to categorized folders. No need to print! Your phone becomes a portable recipe book ?
I agree, ads are annoying.
Is it better to refrigerate overnite or just a few hours before serving?
I prefer to make it a few hours before serving.
What size dish to use?
A standard casserole, 9×13. Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out.
Made this up really quickly before church and shared at our after-church social yesterday. It was a total hit, and seriously there was nothing left!! Our favorite foodie, with chefs rampant in his family tree asked for your website! Burying the guacamole in the middle totally worked–not a hint of darkening in the avocado layer. Thanks so much for this amazing recipe!
Yay!! You just made my day Jeanie. Thanks so much for the 5 stars.
Tex mex perfection! We love this recipe so much!!
We always make bean dip for NYE and I can’t wait to make this seven layer version this year!
It’s so good! Happy new year!
We make this all the time and there is never any left!
Yes!! Always a huge hit!
This needs to happen at my house very soon!!
LOVE bean dip! This looks awesome Sabrina, and perfect for all these football games coming up. Definitely going to make!
I hope you enjoy it, Billy!
Sabrina, Can this dip be baked and served along with warm chips as a meal? Love your recipes!
I serve it chilled. Not sure how the sour cream and cheese would do if it was baked?