Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork made with citrus, garlic, oregano and cumin takes almost no prep time and makes a fantastic, flavorful meal your family will love any night of the week!
Being a slow cooker meal sometimes you’ll want to just make this meal overnight or during food prep times and save it for later. Here it is ready to be frozen for later. Tell me you wouldn’t be happy to open up your freezer and see this waiting for you for dinner.
Speaking of Slow Cooker Pork Meals, have you checked out some of the other ones on the site?
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Luau Pork
- Slow Cooker Crispy Skin Pork
- Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Pork Loin
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup
The sauce/liquid left in the bottom of the slow cooker when you’re done cooking will be a bit thin. If you want it to be thicker as you can see in the pictures here, you’re going to want to follow the steps in the recipe card and add the cornstarch slurry at the end of cooking.
It really does add to the meal and makes a luscious sauce. We use the sauce to pour over the roast or even in other things like over side dishes or on top of enchiladas or eggs. Look at how delicious the sauce looks even before you’re cooking the pork:
The citrus, garlic and cumin add so much flavor you’ll use the sauce on everything you can.
Tools used in the making of this Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork:
Slow Cooker: For a pork shoulder this size I stay away from my larger slow cooker. I use a 4 quart round one, which allows for the pork to cook properly and lets it nestle amongst the sauce it makes instead of being in a much larger cooker and sitting in much shallower pool of liquid.
Dutch Oven: I use this to brown meats before they go into the slow cooker if I am not using my All-Clad slow cooker with the aluminum insert.
Cumin: I absolutely love cumin, it is a spice I use given any opportunity to use it. This brand is hands down a favorite of mine, I’ve tried many but the flavor here is brighter, bolder and just wonderful. You can find it locally as well, most ethnic stores sell the brand.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pound pork shoulder
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- In a large pot add the canola oil on medium high heat.
- Season the pork with the kosher salt and black pepper and brown the pork on all sides.
- To the slow cooker add the orange juice, lime juice, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic and bay leaves and mix it together.
- Add the pork to the slow cooker and roll it in the mixture until it is coated well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6.
- When the pork is done you can serve as is with the juice on top.
- If you want a thicker sauce, 30 minutes before it is done skim the fat off the top, add a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water to the slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes.