Slow Cooker Korean Beef with just 10 minutes of prep makes the easiest weeknight meal with so much flavor from the garlic, ginger and sesame oil.
It seemed only natural that we explored the world of turning the recipe into a slow cooker version since the flavors have been such a huge hit. Originally I tested the recipe with a large cut of chuck roast and it ended up tasting sort of like Korean pot roast, but once I cut it into chunks and browned them first the results have been amazing!
Tender small bites of Slow Cooker Korean Beef simmered in a flavorful sauce full of garlic, ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar and soy sauce makes the most delicious meal with such a small amount of prep!
Tools Used In This Slow Cooker Korean Beef Recipe:
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is, it has been a workhorse for me… until…
My New Slow Cooker: This recipe was made in this slow cooker. For larger roasts I also brown the meat in the insert and not lose a bunch of the flavor by transferring the meat and leaving the browned bits behind. If you’re thinking of a new slow cooker, consider it if your budget is open.
Sesame Oil: The flavor of sesame oil in this dish is unmistakeable and not really able to be substituted. Some Asian grocery stores will try and sell less expensive options that aren’t actually sesame oil, so just be sure the one you’re buying is authentic sesame oil.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 pounds chuck roast , cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- diced green onions , for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds , for garnish (optional)
- In a cast aluminum slow cooker insert (or another skillet if your slow cooker has a ceramic insert) add the tablespoon of canola oil and brown the beef on high heat.
- Make sure the pan is hot, you don't need to worry how done the meat is, you're just going for color.
- Add the beef, brown sugar, lite soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and crushed red peppers to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add in the cornstarch slurry and cook and additional 20-30 minutes while you cook your rice and vegetables to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired