Korean Kalbi BBQ Short Ribs are incredibly flavorful and sweet, made from flanken short ribs marinated all day long in a soy garlic marinade with grated pears and grilled to perfection!
Korean Kalbi BBQ Short Ribs
Korean Kalbi BBQ Short Ribs are the PERFECT combo of sweet and savory, made from flanken ribs in a marinade of brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, and spices. It’s one of my all-time favorite Korean dishes because it’s also incredibly easy to make. If you’re looking for some side dishes to serve with these ribs check out my Macaroni Salad, Fried Rice, or Egg Rolls.
The best part about this Korean bbq is that you can make it all summer on the grill, and in the oven when the weather’s too cold. If you can’t find mirin at your grocery store, try replacing it with about ½ teaspoon of sugar per 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or dry white wine.
WHAT IS THE BEST MEAT FOR KOREAN Kalbi BBQ?
Kalbi is made with flanken-style short ribs, which means the beef is cut thin to around ½ inch thickness, and across the bone, leaving a few bones to each rib. Flanken ribs can be cooked quickly, which makes them best for beef rib recipes that call for broiling.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH KOREAN BBQ?
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BULGOGI AND KALBI?
Kalbi (Galbi) is a recipe that uses short ribs, while bulgogi uses ribeye steak. Both of these dishes use a similar marinade.
HOW MUCH KALBI (GALBI) SHOULD YOU MAKE PER PERSON?
You should plan on ½ – ¾ pound per person, more if you have some BBQ lovers because much of the portion is going to be discarded as bone or connective tissue. When planning for larger eaters I actually do 1 pound per person.
HOW TO MAKE KALBI MARINADE
Kalbi is marinated overnight, which means the marinade is a pretty big part of this recipe. I like to use a combination of low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, and mirin, with spices, brown sugar, and onion.
You can substitute the pear for kiwi in this kalbi marinade recipe. The fruit helps tenderize the meat, which is really important for the finished texture of your Korean bbq ribs.
I recommend marinating the meat for a minimum time of 24 hours, because it can give the kalbi an amazingly sweet and savory flavor and soft texture.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO MAKE KALBI (GALBI) IN THE SLOW COOKER
Slow cooking short ribs is a great cooking method because they get to the point where they’re falling-off-the-bone tender, plus they get to cook in their marinade all day long.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your marinade ingredients. Add short ribs to the slow cooker, and pour marinade on top.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours
- Use a slotted spoon to remove short ribs from slow cooker and serve.
HOW TO MAKE KALBI (GALBI) IN THE INSTANT POT
- Marinate your beef in the refrigerator as usual, for at least 24 hours before cooking.
- Pour the whole bag (ribs and marinade) into the pot. Lock the lid and seal the pressure valve. Set on manual high for 5 minutes, then allow to release naturally.
- If you want your Korean kalbi to be more crispy, place them on a sheet pan and broil for 1-2 minutes, watching closely so they don’t burn.
TIPS FOR MAKING KOREAN BBQ SHORT RIBS
- Add a sprinkle of sesame seeds over the meet just before serving. They’re decorative and they also add a nice flavor to the dish. You can also top with chopped green onions for presentation.
- Kalbi is often called Galbi, which is another way to say ribs. Galbi literally translates to “rib” in Korean.
- You can add some more spices like cayenne or black pepper to give your short ribs more of a kick.
- If you use Asian pears instead of regular pear, the recipe may turn out slightly different as Asian pears are usually crunchy, and have a sweet yet different flavor.
- You can serve this Korean dish just over white rice if you aren’t making any other side dishes.
- Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for at least 24 hours then drain from the marinade before cooking.
- Cook in the oven for 12-14 minutes at 400 degrees then broil for 1-2 minutes OR heat your grill to medium high and cook for 4 minutes on each side.