Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food with tender chuck roast, creamy sour cream mushroom sauce and egg noodles.
SLOW COOKER POT ROAST BEEF STROGANOFF
What’s better than coming home to the most delicious aroma and dinner just about ready to go? Great for busy weeknights, this mouthwatering crockpot dinner is quick to get started and then cooks low and slow all day. If you want to speed up dinner, there are oven and Instant Pot instructions in this post too!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff combines a classic comfort food with a melt-in-your-mouth chuck roast used in our Classic Pot Roast. Slow cooking is hands down one of the best ways to cook chuck roast. The long cooking time turns this inexpensive cut of beef tender and juicy and easy to shred.
Brown the Chuck Roast
If this is your first time making a Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff, you might be tempted to dump all the ingredients in and be on your way. It’s worth all the extra flavor to sear the chuck roast first before adding it to your slow cooker. Unlike a lot of dump and go crockpot recipes, it’s important to blend your sauce before pouring over the beef so it gets evenly distributed.
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff recipe uses almost cooked egg noodles so they soak up in the flavors of the mushroom sauce quickly without getting mushy. Cook them about a minute shy of the package directions right before you add them to the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff is a good potluck dish or for an easy meal prep for busy weeknights. If you are making this dish ahead of time, you should only add the noodles if you are planning to freeze it. If you want to make Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff for easy grab-and-go meals during the week, refrigerate the beef and sauce separate from cooked noodles.
MORE POT ROAST RECIPES:
What to serve with this recipe:
Round out this hearty meal by serving your Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff with a side of Roasted Broccoli or Sautéed Green Beans. You could also skip the egg noodles and serve this dish more like a traditional pot roast with a side of Roasted Red Potatoes and Roasted Root Vegetables.
Be SURE to serve this with Crusty French Bread Rolls, they’re the perfect rolls to dip in your stroganoff mushroom gravy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can make this dish with beef stew meat or cut the chuck roast into 2 inch cubes if you prefer whole pieces of beef instead of shredded meat.
Instead of egg noodles, you can serve other thicker pasta like macaroni, penne, or rigatoni with Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff. Be sure to cook just shy of a minute before adding to the slow cooker.
You can add other vegetables to this dish like frozen peas, green bell peppers, and carrots, or use other mushrooms like button mushrooms or portobellos.
Replace 1 cup of beef broth with a dry red wine like Malbec or Pinot Noir for a deeper traditional stroganoff flavor.
MORE DELICIOUS CHUCK ROAST RECIPES:
Oven Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown seasoned beef in a large dutch oven with oil as usual, set aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the liquid from mushrooms has cooked down.
- Add in garlic, thyme, and paprika and cook for about a minute, then deglaze your pan with beef broth.
- Stir in the mustard and Worcestershire and return chuck roast to the pot.
- Cover pot and roast in the oven for 2-3 hours, until beef is easy to shred.
- Shred beef before adding sour cream and cooked egg noodles and serve.
Instant Pot Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté setting and add oil.
- Sear beef on both sides, about 2-3 minutes, and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze Instant Pot with beef broth, stir in mustard and Worcestershire sauce, and add chuck roast to pot.
- Cover with lid, seal valve, and select Manual High Pressure for 60 minutes.
- Use quick release when finished.
- Add egg noodles, select Manual High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Use quick release, stir in sour cream, and serve.
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER POT ROAST BEEF STROGANOFF
- Serve: Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff can be kept on warm for up to 4 hours and room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Cool Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff completely before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Once cooled, place Beef Stroganoff in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating on the stovetop.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces egg noodles , cooked a minute shy of done
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven on high heat.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown meat on all sides, 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add the beef to slow cooker with onions, mushrooms and garlic.
- Whisk together beef broth, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and paprika and pour it into slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours or on high heat for 4 hours.
- Remove meat from the slow cooker and gently break apart with two forks.
- Cook egg noodles just a minute shy of package instructions.
- Mix sour cream into sauce and add in the egg noodles, stirring to coat.
- Top with chuck roast and cook on high for 15 minutes.
Photo used in a previous version of this post.