Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is a wonderfully easy version of this classic dish. Tender beef combined with creamy sauce, mushrooms, and egg noodles.
Beef Stroganoff is always a favorite Dinner Recipe in our house. That’s probably why we already have several versions on the blog including a Ground Beef Stroganoff and Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff. Now, you can get the same flavorful dish with half the cook time.
INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
Lately, we’ve been having a lot of fun in our kitchen experimenting with instant pot recipes. There are just so many meals you can cut the cooking time down on by making them in a pressure cooker. It’s perfect for busy nights and simplifying your favorite dinners. For more Instant Pot meals be sure to try Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast, Instant Pot Philly Sandwiches, and Instant Pot Beef Stew.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is sure to become one of your favorite comfort food dishes. You get all the flavor of a classic stroganoff, but way quicker. The creamy stroganoff sauce brings the other ingredients together perfectly. Made with beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream the recipe has a nice tang that compliments the savory beef wonderfully.
This Beef Stroganoff recipe is ready in just 30 minutes. That’s right, in only a half-hour you’ll have tender pieces of beef, mushrooms, and egg noodles all cooked in a delicious cream sauce. The great thing about making Instant Pot Stroganoff other than the speed is that the entire Stroganoff recipe comes together in one pot.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEEF STROGANOFF
HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF IN THE INSTANT POT
Although this stroganoff recipe is all cooked in one pot, there are several steps, and some of the ingredients are cooked at separate times. Here’s an easy guide to get you going with the pressure cooker recipe.
- Beef: First put the instant pot to its saute setting. Add butter to the base of the pan to grease it. Then add the pieces of stew meat, and season it with salt and pepper. Move the meat around with a wooden spoon to brown it on all sides. This should only take about 6-8 minutes.
- Onions: While still in the saute setting, take the beef out and add in the onions. Cook the onions until they’re translucent.
- Sauce: Add the garlic, mushrooms, flour, and beef to the pressure cooker along with the onions. Stir the ingredients until the flour dissolves. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk them into the rest of the ingredients. Close the lid and seal the valve. Cook for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure.
- Noodles: Remove the lid and add in the egg noodles. Close the lid again and pressure cook on a 5-minute timer. Do another quick pressure release and open the lid.
- Serve: After the cook time, stir in the sour cream to thicken up the sauce and serve.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- Noodles: If you don’t have egg noodles you can use other kinds of pasta in your Beef Stroganoff recipe. Penne, fettuccini, bow tie noodles, elbow macaroni, or orecchiette would all work.
- Creamy sauce: You can replace the sour cream in the sauce with Greek yogurt. You can also add other flavors to the liquid sauce ingredients. Mix in dijon mustard, or BBQ sauce with the beef broth for some extra flavor.
- Mushrooms: You can exchange crimini mushrooms in the Instant Pot Stroganoff with portabello mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or white mushrooms.
- Meat: Instead of tender beef meat, try using simple ground beef in the recipe.
- Seasonings: Another way to experiment with Instant Pot Stroganoff is by adding seasonings and spices like fresh parsley, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, paprika, or red pepper flakes.
MORE BEEF RECIPES
HOW TO STORE INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- Serve: Don’t leave Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: After the Instant Pot Stroganoff cools down, you can put it in an airtight container to store in the fridge. It will stay good for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Stroganoff for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating the dish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat , cut into 1" cubes (or chuck roast)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Turn instant pot to sauté and add butter and the beef stew meat, salt, and pepper, searing on all sides until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove beef and add in the onions, cooking for 5-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add beef back to the instant pot along with garlic, mushrooms, and flour, stirring well until flour is completely dissolved.
- Add in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, stirring well.
- Close, lock lid, and seal the vent.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Remove lid, add in egg noodles and stir.
- Close, lock lid, and seal the vent.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Remove lid, stir in sour cream and serve.