Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are an easy side dish (with no boiling required!) that you can make for the holidays and keep warm on the buffet without drying out!
No-Boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are a holiday favorite of ours since we bought our first slow cooker together. In fact, it was the second slow cooker recipe I ever made (first was: Ultimate Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches).
Can you make mashed potatoes in a crock pot?
Absolutely. Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes are as easy as any other dump and cook meal. The hardest part is peeling the potatoes!
How long can I keep mashed potatoes in a crock pot?
I have successfully kept slow cooker mashed potatoes warm and covered during events for up to 4 hours before noticing any noticeable drying out.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MASHED POTATOES?
- Meat or Chicken, my favorite being this amazing Perfect, Easy Ribeye Steak or BBQ Pulled Chicken.
- Vegetables (it’ll make you feel less guilty about the butter and starch) like Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Rainbow Roasted Vegetables
Stovetop Mashed Potatoes:
Cook the potatoes in water instead of vegetable stock, then add in the rest of the ingredients once they have become tender (10-12 minutes) and drained. I also add a bit of heavy cream to make them extra luxurious sometimes.
HOW MANY POTATOES DO YOU USE PER PERSON FOR MASHED POTATOES?
Potatoes are heavier than they look, so account for half a pound of raw potatoes per person/serving when considering how much mashed potatoes you have to make.
As a general rule bags of red potatoes are sold in 3lb. packages while russet potatoes are sold in 5 and 10 pound bags. Remember red potatoes won’t be peeled so you don’t lose the weight of the potatoes while russet potatoes will lose at least 5-10% of their weight in preparations.
Want More Holiday Options?
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Crispy Slow Cooker Turkey
- Slow Cooker Turkey with Gravy, Candied Sweet Potatoes & Green Peas
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Carrots
- Pumpkin Pecan Streusel Pie
Tools used in this Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
3 Qt. Slow Cooker: The perfect size for side dishes for 10-12 people, this slow cooker is an absolute bargain and a workhorse.
Potato Masher: ½ whisk, ½ potato masher, I love this kitchen tool!
Immersion Blender or Hand Mixer: Make quick work of the potatoes this blender is my go to for blending soups and mashed potatoes.
- 5 pounds yukon potatoes peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- parsley optional for garnish