Slow Cooker Rump Roast makes wonderfully tender meat in a rich gravy with veggies. Make it in a slow cooker or find the instant pot and oven versions below.
Slow Cooker Recipes are a great way to enjoy classic meals easily on weeknights. Try other delicious slow cooker dinners like Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast, Slow Cooker Beef Brisket, and Slow Cooker Leg of Lamb recipes.
SLOW COOKER RUMP ROAST
This delicious roast is perfect for weeknight dinners. Just prep the pot roast in the crock pot in the morning, and at the end of the day you’ll have a melt-in-your-mouth beef dinner. After you brown the roast and combine all the ingredients, the crock pot does the rest of the work making this the perfect go-to weeknight meal.
Making your roast with bottom round roast results in extra succulent beef that’s full of flavor. As the beef roast cooks in the crock pot it will tenderize and absorb the flavors of the cooking liquid, onions, and seasoning surrounding it.
The other great thing about this Pot Roast recipe is that it’s cooked with carrots and potatoes, so you don’t have to worry about making a lot of sides for a more filling dish. Although Soft Dinner Rolls always taste great with savory roast recipes like this one. So, if you have some extra time you can make homemade rolls, or just pick some up at the store.
MORE EASY CROCK POT RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER RUMP ROAST
- Prep: Start by setting a large pot to high heat with vegetable oil in the base. Season your beef with kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Sear: Add the rump roast to the pot and brown the meat on both sides. It should only take 3-4 minutes on each side. Once you’re done searing turn off the stovetop and move the meat to the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker: Chop the carrots, potatoes, and onion. Put the carrots, potatoes, and minced garlic in the crockpot. Mix together the beef broth, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt. Pour the broth mixture over the meat and vegetables. You can set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8-9 hours or high and cook for 4-5 hours.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SLOW COOKER RUMP ROAST
- Cuts of meat: Instead of using rump roast you can make a crock pot roast recipe using chuck roast, brisket, or bone-in roast beef.
- Cooking liquid: For a thicker cooking liquid try mixing in cornstarch with the beef broth recipe. If you want a low-sodium cooking liquid replace the broth with low-sodium broth. You can also cook the Crockpot Pot Roast in mushroom soup in place of the gravy mixture.
- Seasonings: There are plenty of different seasonings you can add to the bottom round roast like Italian seasoning, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and oregano. You can also mix in a little brown sugar to add some sweetness to the roast.
INSTAPOT RUMP ROAST
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- Turn your pressure cooker to saute mode. Once it’s heated add vegetable oil to the base of the pot.
- Sear the meat on both sides for 3-4 minutes each.
- Add in the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Pour the beef broth mixture over the top of the roast recipe.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes per pound.
- When the cooking is done allow the pressure to release for 10-20 minutes naturally then serve the fork-tender roast dinner.
OVEN-BAKED RUMP ROAST
- Start by patting your rump roast dry with a paper towel, then season it with salt and pepper.
- Cover the meat and keep it in the fridge overnight or let it sit at room temperature for an hour before cooking.
- Put vegetable or olive oil in the base of your dutch oven, then add in the roast and braise on both sides.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic to the one pot. Pour the beef broth mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Check that the internal temperature has reached 145 degrees.
- Cover the one-pot roast with foil and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
MORE ROAST RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER RUMP ROAST
- Serve: After cooking this recipe don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the Crock Pot Roast has cooled to room temperature you can store it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Put the roast, carrots, and potatoes in an airtight to keep it well.
- Freeze: This is also a great recipe to keep in the freezer for 2-3 months. To reheat the meal after freezing, let it thaw in the fridge. Once it’s defrosted reheat the recipe in the dutch oven.
- 3-4 pound beef rump roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 3 Yukon potatoes , peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 yellow onion , cut into 1" chunks
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Season beef with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to a large pot on high heat.
- Sear on all sides until well browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Turn off the heat and move roast to a large slow cooker.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Mix the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, and celery salt then pour it over the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.