Swiss Chicken Casserole is the perfect comforting weeknight dinner with a rich, creamy, cheesy coating, and flavorful stuffing mixture.
This family-friendly casserole dish is an easy Weeknight Meal that you can have ready for the oven in minutes. The combination of chicken, cheese, and stuffing brings lots of classic comfort food flavors to your dinner table all in one dish. For more comforting chicken dinners try our Classic Chicken Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie.
This cheesy Swiss Chicken Casserole has quickly become a family favorite in our house. The tasty chicken is covered with melty Swiss cheese. Then creamy chicken soup is poured over, and it’s all finished off with a crunchy stuffing topping. It’s flavorful, filling, and wonderfully comforting.
On top of that, this recipe is so easy to make. It’s perfect for days when you want a hearty dinner, but don’t want to spend your whole evening in the kitchen. The casserole comes together in a matter of minutes. Then you can just pop it in the oven and relax while it bakes. Once it’s done, you’ll have a beautiful meal with hardly any effort.
Swiss Chicken Casserole is so filling, that it can be a complete meal on its own. However, it’s also nice to pair with an equally easy side dish. You can toss together a nice side salad or cook up some Roasted Vegetables to go along with your easy chicken for a quick, balanced meal that you can make any night of the week.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
- Prep time: Before starting the recipe, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray or a little butter. Then slice the skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble: Lay a chicken base out over the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top the chicken off with a layer of Swiss cheese slices. In a separate bowl whisk together the cream of chicken soup and whole milk. Then pour the mixture over the chicken. Add the dry stuffing mix and melted butter to a bowl. Mix them together until well combined. Then sprinkle the stuffing over the casserole.
- Bake time: Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Pause the baking time after that to uncover the super creamy chicken casserole. Then bake for another 10 minutes. Take from the oven and enjoy!
Create a free account to Save Recipes
- Vegetables: Toss any of your favorite frozen vegetables in with the chicken pieces. The casserole would taste great with peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or corn. Mix the vegetables with the chicken to add some extra color, texture, and flavor to the dish.
- Topping: You can add other ingredients to your crunchy stuffing topping. Sprinkle crushed crackers or chopped nuts over the top before baking.
- Seasoned chicken: To experiment with the taste, you can also season chicken with black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, thyme, or paprika.
- Cheese: This chicken casserole tastes absolutely divine with Swiss cheese, but you can also experiment with different cheese varieties. Cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or Parmesan would also taste great.
- Chicken Noodle Casserole: For a tasty chicken noodle casserole start cooking pasta towards the end of the casserole baking time. Shortcut noodles like egg noodles, penne, or rigatoni will work best. Once the casserole is done you can serve the cheesy chicken over a serving of pasta. It will make the dish more filling, and help the casserole go further if you’re feeding a big crowd.
MORE CREAMY CHICKEN DISHES
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: If you have any leftover Swiss Chicken Casserole, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the dish cool down, and then cover the dish or transfer it to an air-tight container to store in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can reheat the amazing meal in the microwave or oven to eat later.
- Freeze: You can also seal the Swiss Chicken Casserole to freeze it. Put it all in the freezer together, or transfer it into meal-sized containers so that you can reheat one serving at a time.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts , cut into 1" cubes
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup , 10.75 ounce cans
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 cups stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Add the chicken to the baking dish and top with Swiss cheese.
- Whisk together the cream of chicken soup and whole milk.
- Pour over the Swiss cheese evenly.
- In a large bowl add the stuffing mix and evenly pour over the melted butter and toss well to combine.
- Arrange the stuffing mix over the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.