Easy Thai Green Curry made in just 30 minutes, full of coconut milk, ginger, garlic, snow peas, avocado chunks and more is the perfect Thai takeout dish made at home!
Thai Green Curry Recipe
Thai curries are my husband’s favorite curry because of the mild flavors and coconut milk. I’m a bigger fan of Indian curries (my heart skips a beat for Butter Chicken and Tikka Masala) because I love the bold warm spices and heavy cream.
This Thai Green Curry is so mild and fresh though, that It keeps a place in my heart I didn’t think I’d ever have. For years and years I was strictly a Pad Thai girl when we’d go out to Thai restaurants. It wasn’t until we went with a big group of people for Thai food that we ordered family style and ordered every curry dish on the menu.
The restaurant interestingly enough added avocado chunks to the green curry. Learning more about Thai curries I found that many restaurants also have Avocado curries on the menu. I tried both versions at home, but my favorite way to enjoy Thai curries is this classic green curry with added avocado chunks.
How to cut chicken thinly:
To cut chicken thinly against the grain for wide thin pieces, freeze the chicken for about one hour. Once you do you can very easily slice the chicken very thinly against the grain. This results in chicken that looks like a piece of thick paper, wide but thin. Since the slices are so thin it will still soften back to thawed quickly.
What is in green curry paste?
Traditional ingredients in Thai green curry paste include green birds eye chilis, galangal, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, kaffir lime peel or leaves and cilantro stems. With so many ingredients it is highly preferable to buy a pre-made paste.
What vegetables can you put in a Thai Green Curry?
Traditionally thai green curry includes snow peas, carrots, baby corn and broccoli. This recipe also includes chunks of avocado.
Is Thai Green Curry spicy?
No, of all the Thai curries, Thai green curry is among the milder of the curries. The spiciest Thai curry is red curry.
Want more Easy Asian Recipes?
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Orange Chicken
- Easy Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Panda Express Recipes… every single one in fact: Panda Express Recipes Index
- Many more Chinese food options…
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless skinless, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil divided
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced into coins
- 1 cup snowpeas
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 green onions with tops minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 avocado cut into 1" chunks
- Toss the chicken with the flour and add to a large skillet on medium heat with half the canola oil, cooking for 3-4 minutes until cooked through then remove the chicken from the pan and add in the remaining canola oil.
- Add the carrots, snow peas and green bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the curry paste, cooking and stirring for 30-45 seconds.
- Add in the green onions, garlic and ginger and keep stirring for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and lime zest then whisk to combine.
- Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat, add the chicken back into the pan with the avocado chunks and stir together gently before serving.