Italian Turkey Meatloaf that’s easy to make or meal prep with Italian herbs and spices, plenty of fresh garlic and Romano cheese.
Italian Turkey Meatloaf
Meatloaf doesn’t always have to be full of delicious bacon and cheese or philly cheesesteak flavors to be delicious. You can make a simple and healthy meatloaf with turkey that screams Italian meatball flavors with just a few ingredients.
Meatloaf is an easy and delicious dinner that’s quick to put together and able to feed many people. I think of meatloafs of lazy meatballs because you get all the flavor without all the extra effort.
You can certainly use ground turkey breast or ground chicken breast for this recipe. Both the lean and regular varieties would work well, just know that using the leaner option will result in a slightly denser meatloaf as it has less fat content.
You can also swap out the breadcrumbs for instant oats if you’d like to make a gluten free option. You can also use panko breadcrumbs or fresh bread soaked in a bit more milk to help add a bit more moisture.
- Use 1 ½ teaspoons of canola oil and use 1 teaspoon to sear the first side and the remaining half to sear the second side.
- Once browned and crisp, spread a thin layer of mayo, roasted tomatoes and basil leaves onto sandwich bread before serving
- Second Option: Sear the same way, add parmesan cheese to the skillet, put the meatloaf slice back on top and press down to cook the parmesan into the meat and brown it before adding to your sandwich.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Some more flavor options for this Turkey Meatloaf:
- Personally I’m not a huge fan of rosemary, but ¼ teaspoon of dried rosemary would certainly work in the meatloaf.
- Add some tomato/fresh marinara sauce to the top in the last fifteen minutes to brown.
- Make a fresh basil pesto to top the meat loaf or sandwiches.
How to make Italian Turkey Meatloaf:
Make sure the turkey meat is cold and mix all the ingredients until just combined. The more you handle the turkey meat the more dense the meatloaf will be.
What to serve with Turkey Meatloaf:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil , divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano , divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients (reserve 1 teaspoon of the basil and ½ teaspoon of the oregano for the topping) to a bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with oil spray.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and sprinkle on the remaining herbs.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until the mixture is at 160 degrees when tested with a thermometer.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before carving.