Italian Turkey Meatloaf that’s easy to make or meal prep with Italian herbs and spices, plenty of fresh garlic and Romano cheese.
An easy meatloaf will make a double meal for us, first for dinner and second for sandwiches. Other easy dinners we love include Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Garlic Pork Loin Roast.
Italian Turkey Meatloaf
Meatloaf doesn’t always have to be full of delicious bacon and cheese or philly cheesesteak flavors to be delicious. You can make a simple and healthy meatloaf with turkey that screams Italian meatball flavors with just a few ingredients.
Meatloaf is an easy and delicious dinner that’s quick to put together and able to feed many people. I think of meatloafs of lazy meatballs because you get all the flavor without all the extra effort.
You can certainly use ground turkey breast or ground chicken breast for this recipe. Both the lean and regular varieties would work well, just know that using the leaner option will result in a slightly denser meatloaf as it has less fat content.
You can also swap out the breadcrumbs for instant oats if you’d like to make a gluten free option. You can also use panko breadcrumbs or fresh bread soaked in a bit more milk to help add a bit more moisture.
- Use 1 ½ teaspoons of canola oil and use 1 teaspoon to sear the first side and the remaining half to sear the second side.
- Once browned and crisp, spread a thin layer of mayo, roasted tomatoes and basil leaves onto sandwich bread before serving
- Second Option: Sear the same way, add parmesan cheese to the skillet, put the meatloaf slice back on top and press down to cook the parmesan into the meat and brown it before adding to your sandwich.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Some more flavor options for this Turkey Meatloaf:
- Personally I’m not a huge fan of rosemary, but ¼ teaspoon of dried rosemary would certainly work in the meatloaf.
- Add some tomato/fresh marinara sauce to the top in the last fifteen minutes to brown.
- Make a fresh basil pesto to top the meat loaf or sandwiches.
How to make Italian Turkey Meatloaf:
Make sure the turkey meat is cold and mix all the ingredients until just combined. The more you handle the turkey meat the more dense the meatloaf will be.
What to serve with Turkey Meatloaf:
Turkey meatloaf is great served with Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Rainbow Roasted Vegetables.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil , divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano , divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients (reserve 1 teaspoon of the basil and ½ teaspoon of the oregano for the topping) to a bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with oil spray.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and sprinkle on the remaining herbs.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until the mixture is at 160 degrees when tested with a thermometer.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before carving.
This has become my go-to meatloaf recipe. I make it often and we LOVE it. It has a nice Italian flavor. So glad I tried this recipe.
Thanks for coming back to let me know how much you enjoyed it, Monika.
I made this for the family tonight and it turned out to be delicious. I used about 1/3 of the seasoning, because I didn’t want to overpower the dish, and it turned out to be pretty good. My son-in-law the chef came by as we were finishing up and had a plate of the dinner, rating the turkey meatloaf an 8 or 9 out of 10 points (a family thing). My husband loved it and that is what was important to me. I’m trying to lose weight and went with the turkey, rather than the beef meatloaf he had requested. A great recipe I will make again. Thank you.
I’m so glad you all enjoyed it and that it also got the approval of your son in law. Thanks for the 5 star rating.
I going to try this soon. Can you use another cheese besides Romano? If so, please share.
Of course, you could substitute with Parmesan cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!
I need to try this immediately, it looks so good!
The top of that meatloaf looks so flavorful! YUM!
It’s so good!!
I don’t have much experience in eating meatloaf, but this makes me want to try it!
Yes, give it a try!