Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup that’s creamy, full of vegetables and chunks of ham, finished off with milk and sour cream for a easy and delicious hearty soup.
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is a delicious set it an forget it meal your family will enjoy that tastes like you stood by the stovetop tending to it for hours.
See how easy it is to prepare it in this video:
Soups are a big part of the Fall season for us, with their instant “warm you up” abilities and ability to freeze portions or take portions for quickly heated lunches, we are constantly keeping out slow cookers going in the winter for soups, especially this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup which was made in partnership with Smithfield who also sponsored this post for amazing Black Pepper Bacon Biscuits that incidentally would go fabulously with this soup!
With less than 20 minutes of prep work (I chop vegetables while watching my favorite reality shows) your slow cooker is set and ready to go. The Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup simmers away on its own, melting the vegetables into this delicious creamy base. A quick mash, a bit of heavy cream and sour cream and dinner is served!
The best part of slow cooker meals like this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is that they’re perfect for weeknights now that everyone is back to school or for those hearty meals you’re going to need after a day spent out at the soccer fields watching the little ones run around in a pattern that almost resembles soccer (we just started toddler soccer here… and oh boy). This Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup can be ready, waiting for you to come home, peel off the grass covered uniforms and eat! The Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham used in this recipe was inspired by the flavors of Smithfield Ham which I grew up enjoy for holiday meals, but in really convenient packaging and in almost any cuts you could hope for which helps cut prep time drastically.
- 8 cups russet potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 8 ounce packages Smithfield Anytime Favorites™ Cubed Ham
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups heavy cream (you can also use milk - I used whole milk)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, ham, Kosher salt, pepper chicken broth to your slow cooker and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 4-5 hours.
- Using a potato masher, mash about ⅓ of the potatoes (don't worry the ham won't really mash that much)
- Add the flour, heavy cream/milk and sour cream and stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield. For more meal inspiration and recipe ideas, visit www.Smithfield.com or Facebook. Smithfield products are available nationwide at your local grocery stores.