Apple Crisp Quick Bread is soft, moist, and rich with a crumbly brown sugar, oat crisp topping. Flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, and vanilla extract.
This easy, spiced bread recipe is perfect for a rich Breakfast Baked Good, or sweet snack throughout the day. The Apple Bread packs plenty of flavor with simple ingredients you probably have in your pantry already. For more delicious Apple Breads try Apple Fritter Bread or Applesauce Bread next.
APPLE CRISP QUICK BREAD
Autumn is the perfect season for leaf peeping and apple picking. But if you don’t have time to get outside and still want that seasonal spirit, you can always make yourself some Fall comfort food like this Apple Bread with an easy crumble topping. The classic flavors of chopped apples, ground cinnamon, and traditional apple crisp topping shine through in this bread recipe and are sure to make your feel festive and cozy.
Enjoy this Apple Crisp Bread warm with butter and a cup of coffee for breakfast, as a snack, or as a dessert. The sweet streusel topping makes this an excellent dessert bread. You can even serve it with Vanilla Ice Cream over the top for something more decadent. Or if you want to pair the apple recipe with another festive treat make some Seasonal Apple Cider to warm everyone right up.
Apple Bread with a rich Crumble Topping is a favorite for holiday baking. The recipe is easy enough that novice and experienced bakers alike can pull it together. Although the total time for the recipe does take over an hour, most of that is baking time.
Once you’ve made the batter and apple mixture, and topped it off with coarse crumbs, you just pop it in the oven and wait. The smell of baked apples and warm spices will fill your house while the delicious recipe finishes up in the oven.
MORE QUICK BREAD RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING APPLE CRISP QUICK BREAD
- Prep Time: Start by preheating the oven and spraying the baking dish with cooking spray. If you don’t have cooking spray to grease the bread pan use parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper to size and use it to line the baking sheet. Then slice the apples into small pieces.
- Liquid ingredients: Put the butter in a small bowl and melt it in the microwave. Add the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla to your stand mixer and combine them at the lowest speed until smooth. If you don’t have a stand mixer, combine them in a mixing bowl with a whisk or handheld mixer. To make your own buttermilk make a scant cup of milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar filling the rest of the cup. Let the homemade buttermilk curdle before mixing it with the bread batter.
- Dry ingredients: In a separate medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Combine flour mixture then pour it into the wet ingredients. Combine the bread batter at its lowest speed. Then fold in the sliced apples.
- Crisp topping: Mash together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, oats, and cold butter with a pastry blender or fork.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan, and use a rubber spatula to get all the remaining batter from the bowl. Sprinkle the topping over the bread batter. Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. Take it from the oven and leave it on a cooling rack for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
VARIATIONS ON APPLE CRISP QUICK BREAD
- Flour mixture: If you want to use different kinds of flour replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, rye flour, almond flour, oat flour, and coconut flour in the Apple Bread.
- Apples: You can use different kinds of apples depending on your taste to make Apple Crisp Quick Bread. Granny Smith are often used for baking apples. For sweeter apples in the recipe try Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, or Winesap.
- Mix-ins: There are lots of delicious mix-ins to add to the original recipe. Try chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds. You could also add extra fruit like banana, raspberries, or strawberries.
- Sweeteners: You can exchange the brown sugar in the Apple Bread with white sugar, honey, or molasses.
MORE APPLE RECIPES
HOW TO STORE APPLE CRISP QUICK BREAD
- Serve: You can keep Apple Bread at room temperature for 2-3 days. Cover it in plastic wrap to store in your pantry.
- Store: To store the Apple Crisp Bread in the fridge, put it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: You can keep the bread for up to 3 months in the freezer as long as it’s properly sealed.
Apple Crisp Quick Bread
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Course: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar , packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 baking apples , diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup rolled oats , not instant
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter , diced
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray an 8x4 loaf pan with baking spray.
- To your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) add the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on the lowest speed setting until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and add it to the wet ingredients until just combined on the lowest speed setting.
- Fold in the apples, then pour batter into loaf pan.
- To make the crisp topping, mash together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, oats, and butter and sprinkle it over the muffin batter.
Bake for 55-60 minutes.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 382 calories, Calories: 382g, Carbohydrates: 62g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 46mg, Sodium: 274mg, Potassium: 116mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 36g, Vitamin A: 406g, Calcium: 60g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.