Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is the perfect combination of two kid-favorites, cheeseburgers and tater tots. It’s an instant classic and so easy!
When it comes to easy, filling, kid-friendly Dinner Recipes, it’s hard to beat Tater Tot Casserole. This dish takes that basic idea and adds even more flavor with melty cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream. What’s not to love?
BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
If you’re looking for an easy way to change up your typical weeknight dinners, adding traditional tater tots is a delicious twist on casseroles. The tater tots cook to crispy perfection and perfectly balance out the flavors of this Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole. We already have plenty of other tater tot casserole recipes on the blog, like Chicken Tot Pie and Tater Tot Taco Casserole that you can try next.
This Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole is a perfectly easy, comfort food dinner. Combine the easy ground beef, onion, and mushroom mixture for the creamy casserole filling. Then pour that in between two layers of delicious tater tots and top the cheeseburger mixture off with cheese. Once that’s finished baking, it’s all topped off with real bacon bits. It is the ultimate yummy casserole sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
MORE EASY WEEKNIGHT CASSEROLE DISHES
TIPS FOR MAKING BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Prep time: To start, preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep your casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray to make sure the casserole doesn’t bake to the pan.
- Brown Ground Beef: Add the ground beef and onion to a cast-iron skillet or another sauté pan. Let the skillet brown the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Creamy Mixture: Add in the Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup to the pan and whisk the ingredients together. Leave the mixture for 5 minutes of cooking on low heat.
- Layer: Layer tater tots along the bottom of the pan. Pour the meat mixture over the tots then top that off with another layer of tater tots. Cover the Tater Tot Casserole in shredded cheese and half the bacon bits.
- Bake: Cover the Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole and bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and crispy. Finish cooking the casserole and top it with the other half of the bacon and green onions before serving.
VARIATIONS ON BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Cheese: There are plenty of different kinds of shredded cheese you can use in this recipe to add to the cheddar cheese blend. Try adding pepper jack, provolone, Swiss, or any of your other favorite cheeses.
- Add-ins: For some delicious texture and extra nutrients, try adding mixed vegetables to the cheeseburger mixture. Peas, diced tomatoes, carrots, and red onion slices could all make great additions. For some more flavor, you can also add minced garlic cloves, and mix tomato sauce in with the creamy soup. To add heat, mix in a little hot sauce. Taste test as you go to make sure you don’t add too much hot sauce.
- Pickles: If you like pickles on your cheeseburgers, then top this casserole off with pickles after baking. Butter pickles or dill pickles would both taste great.
- Canned cream soup: In place of the mushroom soup you can use other canned soup. Cheddar soup makes a great replacement for the cream of mushroom soup. Since you’ll no longer have a mushroom mixture if you use cheddar cheese soup, you can add in some sliced mushrooms and other mixed vegetables to the Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole.
CROCK POT BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- To make Crock Pot Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole, start by browning the meat and onion in a large skillet.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup, and mix the meat gravy together. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spray your crock pot with nonstick spray.
- Layer the tater tots along the bottom of the crock pot then pour the meat mixture over the top. Sprinkle on the cheese and half the bacon. Put another layer of tater tots over the top.
- Cook the Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole for 3 1/2 hours on low. Sprinkle the Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole with the remaining bacon bits and green onion, then cook for a final 10 minutes and serve.
MORE CHEESEBURGER INSPIRED RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
- Serve: Don’t leave Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: After you’ve let the casserole cool, you can cover it tightly to store in the fridge. It will stay good for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze the Cheeseburger Casserole for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating in the oven.
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 32 ounces package frozen tater tots
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 6 slices thick cut bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onions , sliced
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes, then drain any additional fat.
Add in the Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup and whisk together.
Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Put a layer of tater tots along the bottom of the pan then pour the meat mixture over the tater tots.
- Cover with the cheese and half the bacon.
Cover with remaining tater tots and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is browned and bubbly.
- Garnish with remaining bacon and green onions.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 405 calories, Calories: 405g, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 64mg, Sodium: 787mg, Potassium: 436mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 255g, Vitamin C: 7g, Calcium: 167g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.