Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy breakfast recipe for a crowd. Bacon, eggs, frozen tater tots and cheddar cheese make a perfect one pan brunch dish!
Breakfast Casserole is one of the easiest, most popular Breakfast Recipes for a crowd on this site! It comes together in minutes and is perfect for Christmas morning, Easter brunch, or just a casual weekend.
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is all the best parts of breakfast comfort food that your whole family loves, wrapped up in one easy to make dish. Crispy bacon, melty cheddar, and tasty potatoes in an easy eggy quiche is the ultimate breakfast recipe.
Ready in an hour, Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole could not be an easier recipe. Using frozen tater tots and bagged shredded cheddar cheese is not only a time saver, it makes doubling this recipe easy and affordable. Buy your tots and cheese in bulk to make two Tater Tot Breakfast Casseroles at once and freeze one for later.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a great overnight breakfast casserole for Christmas morning or Easter brunch. You can assemble this easy recipe night before and store in the refrigerator to make breakfast a breeze on a busy morning.
Like other Tater Tot Casseroles, this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe can be altered easily to make sure your whole family loves it. Don’t want to use bacon? Try sautéed veggies instead or leftover chicken breast. Lighten up the egg mixture by using egg whites or leave out the frozen tater tots for a low carb breakfast casserole.
Serve your Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with topping options like sour cream, Salsa, chives, and ketchup. If you are serving for a brunch, you can make Biscuits & Gravy and double the gravy to make this breakfast casserole the ultimate comfort food dish.
Make Ahead Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can be made ahead and kept for up to 3 months in the freezer. Prepare and cook the casserole as usual, then allow to cool completely. Cover cooled breakfast casserole tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES FOR A CROWD
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole in the slow cooker for an even easier breakfast recipe.
- Grease slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon and prepare egg mixture like recipe below.
- Add 2/3 of frozen tater tots to slow cooker and pour egg mixture over them.
- Top with remaining tater tots, cover and cook 4 to 6 hours on low.
VARIATIONS ON TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Meat: Instead of bacon, try other breakfast favorites like breakfast sausage, diced ham, or Canadian bacon. If you have leftover chicken breast or steak, that works too!
- Veggies: You can add sautéed veggies like diced onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms to this breakfast casserole. Sprinkle veggies over the tater tots before you pour egg mixture.
- Potatoes: Swap frozen tater tots for hash brown patties, shredded hash browns, or Diced Potatoes. Day old croissants or other thick bread can be used in this recipe.
- Cheese: Try swapping Monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, smoked gouda, or mozzarella cheese for the cheddar cheese. You could also just swap out one cup of cheddar cheese and do your own blend.
- Muffins: Make mini Breakfast Tater Tot Casseroles and bake in a muffin tin. Divide tater tots evenly in muffin cups and pour egg mixture over each cup. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until egg is set. Add remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
EVEN MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES FOR A CROWD
HOW TO STORE TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Serve: Keep your Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
- Store: Cooked Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can be kept in the refrigerator tightly covered for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Wrap a completely cooled casserole with plastic wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 1 package frozen tater tots , 32-ounces
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 pound bacon , cooked and crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Line the baking dish in neat rows with the tater tots.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, cheddar cheese and bacon.
Pour the mixture over the tater tots and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes.
Note: You can also use pre-crumbled bacon, we like the Costco crumbled bacon because it's a large bag and so easy to use while still being chewy.
Yield: 8 , Amount per serving: 421 calories, Calories: 421g, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 36g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 232mg, Sodium: 766mg, Potassium: 235mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 615g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 253g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.