Roasted Brussels Sprouts in a cast iron skillet and topped with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon are the perfect holiday side dish you can make in one pan in 30 minutes.
Bacon Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels Sprouts have had a resurgence of popularity over the last ten years in restaurants. A vegetable most people used to use as the butt of a joke is now trendy enough to make appetizer lists in popular restaurants.
The flavors of brussels sprouts people are craving are the crispy leaves and added toppings like bacon, cheese or butter sauces. They often come fried with lemon butter sauces and by roasting our brussels sprouts we’re going to get to keep a lot of the flavor without a lot of the fat.
How do you prep brussels sprouts:
Cut the rough edges of the root off the brussels sprouts and remove any yellowing outer leaves. You can roast whole or even cut in half.
How to pick Brussels Sprouts:
Look for tightly packed brussels sprouts with no loose leaves. Avoid yellowing leaves and if possible choose smaller brussels sprouts over larger ones as they tend to have a sweeter, better flavor and make roasting easier. Look carefully for black dots on brussels sprouts which are signs of mold and should be completely avoided.
What to serve with Brussels Sprouts:
Can you make these brussels sprouts in a sheet pan? Yes, absolutely, the reason for using the cast iron skillet is because we used the skillet to brown the bacon. Since the brussels sprouts are being tossed in the bacon grease before roasting it was easiest to add them into the pan. Plus serving food in a cast iron skillet allows them to stay warm longer as cast iron skillets are great for retaining heat.
Tools Used in the making of this Bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts:
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and it is great for cooking the bacon and roasting in the oven.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound bacon , cut into small strips
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts , trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet on medium high heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and add in the butter to melt.
- Add the brussels sprouts and toss in the butter mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the brussels sprouts for 25-30 minutes.
- Toss well before serving and top with Parmesan cheese and bacon.