Brussels Sprouts Gratin is a delicious and easy side dish made that is perfect for the holidays made with a creamy Parmesan cheese mixture.
Brussels Sprouts Gratin is a rich, creamy side dish that’s full of delicious savory flavors that will make even a die-hard sprout hater a new fan. This is a perfect Thanksgiving side dish, and goes perfectly with Roast Turkey, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Easy Cranberry Sauce.
BRUSSELS SPROUTS GRATIN
I’ve made Bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts and Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts before, and they’re both delicious ways to get the whole family to not only eat but enjoy their veggies. But if you have one or two stubborn holdouts who still refuse to try them, this is the recipe for you.
“Au Gratin” derives from the French word gratter which means “to grate”, but in the culinary world it means a browned topping, usually cheese or breadcrumbs. It’s the perfect word for Brussels sprouts that are smothered in cheese and browned to perfection.
Great for any meal, from a random Tuesday night to a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, Brussels Sprouts Gratin is a rich and savory side dish that is like a casserole in a skillet, no baking dish required. It’s so hearty and savory that you may even want to try it as a main course.
Since you prep a good portion of the recipe in the same skillet that you cook and serve it in, it makes clean up extremely easy.
A lot of people overlook Brussels sprouts because of their strong bitter flavor, but that same rich, savory flavor and zesty boldness go really well with light cheeses like parmesan. When you mix the two together in an easy recipe like this one, you end up with a skillet full of hot, crisp veggies drowned in a rich creamy cheese sauce that will end up being a family favorite Thanksgiving side.
HOW TO MAKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS GRATIN
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts into halves
- Add all the ingredients together in a large baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
OTHER HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES
VARIATIONS ON BRUSSELS SPROUTS GRATIN
- Cheese: If you want even cheesier gratin, you can add Gruyere or cheddar cheese to the recipe. Grate a handful of Gruyere cheese or cheddar cheese over the top of the Brussels sprouts, then add the parmesan as usual.
- Breadcrumbs: Blend a bit of butter, cheese, and panko breadcrumbs to create a more traditional Au Gratin topping.
- Bacon: Brussels sprouts Au Gratin with bacon is just next level good. Toss some crispy, diced bacon in before baking to make this dish even more awesome.
DELICIOUS HOLIDAY MAIN DISHES
HOW LONG IS BRUSSELS SPROUTS GRATIN GOOD?
- Serve: You should plan on eating your Brussel Sprouts Gratin under 2 hours from the point you take them out of the oven. If you leave them out for longer, they will get too covered in bacteria and won’t be fit to eat. So if you accidentally left the Brussels sprouts out last night, you will need to make a new batch.
- Store: Make sure that the Brussels Sprouts Gratin cools down to room temperature, then either wrap them in plastic wrap or put them in an airtight container. They will be good for about 1 week in the fridge.
- Freeze: You can keep Brussels Sprouts Gratin in the freezer for up to 6 months. After that point they will lose flavor and get too mushy when you reheat them.
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Brussels Sprouts Gratin is a delicious and easy side dish made with Parmesan cheese, butter, and heavy cream.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts , trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter , cold and cut into cubes
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the brussels sprouts into halves.
Add all the ingredients together in a large baking dish.
Bake for 22-25 minutesor until golden brown.
Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Yield: 8 , Amount per serving: 251 calories, Calories: 251g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 64mg, Sodium: 435mg, Potassium: 475mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 1565g, Vitamin C: 97g, Calcium: 217g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.