Baked Chicken Tacos are an easy weeknight meal your kids will love with taco flavored chicken breast, chiles and cheese that’s crispy and quick!
These tacos are a perfect family friendly version of a Taco Tuesday favorite meal. Looking for more taco options, try our Oven Baked Beef Tacos, Shrimp Tacos or Carne Asada Tacos which are all easy and delicious weeknight family meals too.
BAKED CHICKEN TACOS
If you’re looking for a fun, delicious weeknight dinner that only takes a few minutes to prep, then you need to try these Baked Chicken Tacos. The taco shells turn out crispy, and are packed full of melty cheese, chicken and rich tomatoes, and you can serve them up with all sorts of delicious sides, like Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, slices of fresh avocado, and your favorite taco toppings.
Listen up to the best part parents. You aren’t spending your entire mealtime adding chicken and cheese to the kids tacos. You can hand them the baked taco on a plate with little piles of toppings and they can make their own tacos on their individual plates while you eat in peace! This alone makes this recipe one of our favorites!
This chicken taco recipe is likely to be one of your favorite new recipes, since it’s so quick and easy, and it goes so well with Mexican inspired appetizers and main dishes.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN TACOS
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray your 9×13 baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Add oil to a large skillet.
- Add onions and chicken to the skillet and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add in taco seasoning, water and green chiles and allow to cook until water is gone.
- Line the taco shells in your baking pan until they’re able to stand.
- Add the chicken mixture to the taco shells.
- Top the chicken with cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Top with lettuce, tomato and sour cream before serving.
VARIATIONS ON BAKED CHICKEN TACOS
- Leftovers: If you’re in a rush and really need to get dinner done in a hurry, you can use your leftover rotisserie chicken from last night. Just shred it with your clean hands, season it, and heat it up in a skillet with the green chiles, taco seasoning, and tomatoes.
- Cheese: You can use shredded sharp cheddar cheese, pepper jack, or Mozzarella cheese to give your tacos a more complex, savory flavor.
- Spices: Try mixing in a dash of cumin, paprika, cayenne, or chili powder, or add a drizzle of lime juice to take the flavor of your Baked Chicken Tacos to the next level.
HOW LONG ARE BAKED CHICKEN TACOS GOOD?
- Serve: Don’t leave your Baked Chicken Tacos out for longer than 2 hours before refrigerating them to keep them from going bad.
- Store: If you want to keep your Baked Chicken Taco leftovers, they are good for up to 3 days, be sure to wrap them tightly or keep them in a sealable container in your fridge. In order to make sure that the Baked Chicken Tacos don’t make you sick later, you need to let them completely cool down to room temperature before you put them away.
- Freeze: You can freeze the Baked Chicken Tacos for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Tacos:
WHEN IS CHICKEN SAFE TO EAT?
According to the USDA’s official website, chicken is safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (73.8 degrees C.). Visually speaking, chicken should never be pink in color like beef and chicken juice should run clear.
Baked Chicken Tacos
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Baked Chicken Tacos are a delicious Tex Mex dinner, with taco seasoning, chicken breasts, green chilis, beans, and shredded cheese.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breast , (boneless and skinless), chopped finely
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles , drained
- 10 taco shells
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray your 9x13 baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
Add oil to a large skillet.
Add onions and chicken to the skillet and cook until chicken is cooked through.
Add in taco seasoning, water and green chiles and allow to cook until water is gone, about 6-8 minutes.
Line the taco shells in your baking pan until they're able to stand.
Add the chicken mixture to the taco shells.
Top the chicken with cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Top with lettuce, tomato and sour cream before serving.
Yield: 10 Servings, Amount per serving: 183 calories, Calories: 183g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 21mg, Sodium: 654mg, Potassium: 150mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 497g, Vitamin C: 10g, Calcium: 186g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.