Broccoli in Cheese Sauce is the best kid friendly side dish! Steamed broccoli with a creamy milk and cheese sauce with easy pantry seasonings. Skip the frozen veggies.
BROCCOLI IN CHEESE SAUCE
Adding a creamy cheese sauce is the fastest way to get your whole family to gobble down their veggies. Skip the frozen broccoli in cheese sauce or the jar of nacho cheese and Velveeta and make this homemade cheese sauce instead. This easy, cheesy sauce makes a winning weeknight side dish every time!
Broccoli in Cheese Sauce is a quick veggie side dish that is made in less than 20 minutes. Using the microwave to make steamed broccoli makes this recipe so much easier, but you can always use frozen broccoli or steam broccoli florets on the stove top. For how to cook Broccoli in the Instant Pot, check out the bottom of this post.
The hardest part of making Broccoli in Cheese Sauce is grating your own cheese, which is a must do! When making a creamy cheese sauce, you always want to grate the cheddar cheese yourself. Shredded cheese in a bag has anti-caking ingredients that will make your cheese sauce grainy.
While you can definitely make Broccoli in Cheese Sauce ahead of time, it’s best enjoyed right away. If you want to make a double batch for a crowd, keep the cheese sauce warm in a small crockpot until you are ready to serve. For crisp broccoli florets, steam them right before your dinner. Reheating cooked broccoli makes it really soft.
This Steamed Broccoli in Cheese Sauce recipe is perfect served with all your favorite Main Courses. For an easy, fast weeknight dinner, serve Broccoli in Cheese Sauce with Ultimate Garlic Pork Loin or Chicken Breasts and Mashed Potatoes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI IN CHEESE SAUCE
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BROCCOLI IN CHEESE SAUCE
- Veggies: You can substitute your favorite veggies like cauliflower or asparagus. Instead of steamed broccoli, use the creamy cheese sauce on Roasted Broccoli.
- Cheese: Use your family’s favorite cheese like Monterey jack cheese, white cheddar cheese, or Swiss cheese instead of cheddar cheese. Be sure to grate it yourself!
- Flour: Instead of cornstarch, you can thicken your sauce with 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons butter. Melt butter in a saucepan, whisk in flour until smooth, and then follow the rest of the recipe.
- Flavors: You can add different spices like cumin, ground mustard, or cayenne pepper in this recipe. Also try a teaspoon dijon mustard when you add the cheese.
- Casserole: Make a quick Broccoli Cheese Sauce Casserole by placing your steamed broccoli in a baking dish. Top with cheese sauce, more cheddar cheese, and breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until shredded cheese is melted and parmesan breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
Easily make lots of steamed broccoli in the Instant Pot. Add ½ cup of cold water to the bottom of your Instant Pot. Chop 2 large heads of broccoli into florets and place in Instant Pot with water. Lock the lid and place vent on sealing. Select Manual and high pressure and set time to 0 minutes (it takes about 5 minutes to reach pressure)When the time goes off, use quick release by setting valve to vent.
MORE EASY SIDE DISH RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE BROCCOLI IN CHEESE SAUCE
- Serve: The cheese sauce is best served right away but it can be out for up to 2 hours at room temperature.
- Store: Keep your Broccoli in Cheese Sauce for up to 4 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. For best reheating, store separately.
- Freeze: The broccoli can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 4 months. The cheese sauce shouldn’t be frozen since it won’t come back together right when thawed.
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- Rinse the broccoli and place into a glass bowl covered with a wet paper towel.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until tender-crisp then remove the paper towels and place into a baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, whisk together the milk, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook the mixture for 5-8 minutes until bubbly and thickened.
- Add in the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Top the broccoli with the cheese sauce and serve immediately.