Chocolate Oreo Muffins are a rich dark chocolate muffin base filled with softened Oreo chunks, white chocolate chips and extra Oreo chunks on top.
If you loved the richness of an Oreo Cake but wish you could take it everywhere, this is the recipe for you. Easy Cupcake Recipes are perfect for birthday parties, potlucks, or just to quickly satisfy a sweet tooth!
CHOCOLATE OREO MUFFINS
Back again with another Oreo lover’s dream dessert! Is there anything these delicious chocolate sandwich cookies can’t make better? This recipe takes a dark chocolate cake mix to the next level by adding crushed Oreo cookies inside and out so you get all the Oreo flavor you love in every bite.
This Chocolate Oreo Muffin recipe is so easy and the cake mix comes together with common pantry ingredients. The only special thing you’ll need to buy is a package of Oreo cookies, unless you already have a nice stockpile built up. You can use any flavor Oreo cookies or use the original. If you want whole cookies, use mini Oreos!
These rich Chocolate Oreo Muffins are so yummy just topped with Oreo cookies they don’t need even need a frosting. But if you’ve really got an Oreo lover’s itch you need scratched, try the easy Buttercream Frosting recipe with Oreo Crumbs later in this post.
Chocolate Oreo Muffins are perfect for birthday parties and this recipe can easily be doubled to feed a big crowd. You can make them a day or two ahead and leave them at room temperature for an hour to soften before the party. Use a Stabilized Whipped Cream to make a frosting that will last for days.
Enjoy Chocolate Oreo Muffins warm from the oven sprinkled with a little powdered sugar. For a special dessert, use them as a base for a yummy sundae topped with Vanilla Ice Cream and Hot Fudge. If you really love Oreos, top your ice cream sundae with crushed Oreos!
MORE DELICIOUS OREO RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE OREO MUFFINS
- Vanilla Muffins: Easily make this a vanilla muffin by leaving out the cocoa powder and using Golden Oreos. If you want a cookies and cream cupcake, use chocolate Oreos with the vanilla cupcake batter.
- Oreos: You can use any of the dozens of Oreo Cookie flavors you want in Chocolate Oreo Muffins. Try Red Velvet Oreo cookies and add red food coloring for a pretty Valentine’s Day cupcake.
- Chocolate Chips: Stir in white chocolate chips for more creamy vanilla bursts, or dark chocolate chips for more chocolatey goodness. If you can’t decide just go for both!
- Cheesecake: Make Chocolate Oreo Muffins with cheesecake. Blend cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, egg and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth. Fill cupcake liners halfway with chocolate cake batter, top with cream cheese mixture and cover with cake batter.
Oreo Frosting for Chocolate Oreo Muffins
- Ingredients: 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, 6 cups powdered sugar, ⅓ cup milk, 1 cup Oreo crumbs finely processed, 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Add the butter to your stand mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and milk in alternating amounts until completely added.
- Gently fold in the Oreo crumbs and vanilla, until just combined.
- Frosting tip: To keep crumbs showing through frosting, do a thin first layer to the outside of the cake. Refrigerate 2 hours before frosting a second finished layer.
MORE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE OREO MUFFINS
- Serve: Chocolate Oreo Muffins without frosting can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days covered in a cool, dry place.
- Store: Store cooled cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. If frosted, they will last about 3-4 days depending on frosting.
- Freeze: Freeze cupcakes with out frosting for up to 3 months in a sealed container. Cool cupcakes completely before storing, using parchment paper between cupcakes if layering.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee , you can substitute boiling water
- 20 Oreos , crumbled in large chunks and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer on low speed mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and half of the crumbled Oreos. Then add it to the stand mixer on low then medium speed until just combined and finally add in the water (or hot coffee) carefully and stir it in by hand until just combined (do not turn on the mixer, it may splash on you).
- Divide the batter into lined muffin tins, filling cupcake liners 2/3 way full.
- Evenly sprinkle the other half of the crumbled Oreos over each muffin.
- Bake one muffin tin at a time for 15-20 minutes then remove, let cool completely.
I baked this muffin today for the school Halloween party and our kids proud of this!!
I definitely bake this again. Thank you for the lovely recipe.
These were the best muffins I have ever had, they are AMAZING.
is using a mixer necessary or can everything be hand mixed?
You can mix it by hand or with a hand held mixer, I just like to try and make it as easy as possible. Enjoy!
Do I just use black coffee or just normal coffee that is mixed with milk
Just black coffee is all you need. I hope you love it!
I will admit I was worried, I poured in the coffee and I thought disaster had struck. It was so watery, I thought there was no way it would raise if I baked it and I would end up with a sad hot soup. They were perfectly find though. Beyond perfect. So delicious, the muffin part isn’t that sweet so it’s dangerously delicious. Almost a savoury dark chocolate taste the coffee really elevated the. I never realized how much I prefer muffin texture to cupcake texture. It was also a super easy recipe. Didn’t even bother with a mixer.
Glad you powered though! I’m happy to know you enjoyed it so much, Tammy.
How many cups is 20 Oreos?
About 1 1/2 cups
Do you add white chocolate chips? How much? Not included in the recipe (I was reading the comments and read where someone said their white chocolate cips sunk to the bottom )
I included adding white chocolate chips as a variation (not how the recipe is originally written). You can add 1 cup of chocolate chips into the muffin batter. Enjoy!
Do you taste the coffee a lot? It’s for a 13 year old
Nope, you won’t taste the coffee at all.
I made these today and for some reason the white chocolate chips sunk to the bottom and stuck to the muffin liner, did I do something wrong? Also, was I supposed to add some of the oreo chunks into the batter along with putting them on top? This wasn’t clear in the recipe. They tasted really good, very moist – but they don’t look like yours? What did I do wrong?
Oh no! Thanks for catching that. Half of the Oreos goes into the batter. I’ve edited the recipe card to read correctly.
I love this. It’s easy to make the and end result is just so satisfying! I give this a thumbs up!
So glad you enjoyed it, Natasha.
My kind of muffins!! Love oreos in anything! I’d start every day with one of these!
I like the way you think, Kristyn.
The perfect muffin for a chocolate lover! I would feel a little guilty eating one for breakfast, but I’d make an exception for special occasions. 😉
I won’t tell if you don’t, haha!