Classic Chocolate Scotcheroos are no-bake sweet, chewy goodness made with rice krispies, corn syrup, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and peanut butter.
If you grew up in the Midwest, or have been lucky to be friends with someone who did, you know and love these must-have party snacks. Scotcheroos are a classic no-bake dessert that no Midwestern potluck, backyard barbecue, or birthday would be complete without. These chocolatey butterscotch krispie treats are chewy, sweet, and so easy to make!
Chocolate Scotcheroos are peanut butter cereal bars have a thick layer of chocolate and butterscotch frosting. They are made in minutes with just a handful of pantry staples. If you have the ingredients to make regular cereal bars, plus some baking chips and peanut butter, then you have everything you need to make these bars. If you’ve made krispie treats, you can easily make these no-bake Chocolate Scotcheroos.
The big difference, besides the chocolate butterscotch frosting, between Rice Krispies and Scotcheroos is the corn syrup instead of butter and marshmallows. If you don’t normally like to use corn syrup for baking, these bars are worth the exception! The corn syrup and sugar are melted together to make these bars extra chewy and sweet. You can use marshmallows with our substitution in the variations.
Chocolate Scotcheroos are a tasty, sweet treat that everyone loves, and are a hit for holidays cookie exchanges. Kids will love them for birthday parties and adults will love them at potlucks. You can make a double batch easily and freeze some for later, up to 6 months. Chocolate Scotcheroos make a great edition to edible gift baskets too!
MORE NO BAKE CEREAL BARS YOU NEED TO TRY!
Tips for the Best Chocolate Scotcheroos
- To make your bars easier to cut, soften at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing.
- Be careful not to overcook or boil the sugar and syrup mixture or your Scotcheroos will set hard instead of being chewy. You want to just melt the sugar-corn syrup mixture to start to bubble and remove from the heat.
- You will also get hard, solid Scotcheroo Bars if you push your rice krispie mixture into the pan too firmly. Just gently pat down into the pan and even out.
- When you are melting the chocolate and butterscotch chips, do it in bursts so they don’t burn or seize up. To make it even it smoother frosting, add a tablespoon coconut oil.
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE SCOTCHEROOS
- Cereal: Swap in other cereals for Rice Krispies like Cocoa Pebbles, Chex Crispix, Golden Grahams, Honey Nut Cheerios, or Corn Flakes. You could also do a mixture of cereals.
- Chocolate Chips: Make these with dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Instead of butterscotch chips, use caramel chips or cinnamon baking chips.
- Mix-Ins: Stir in 1/2 cup mix-ins like coconut shreds, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, mini marshmallows with the cereal mixture. To keep ingredients like chocolate chips or marshmallows from melting, wait 5 minutes after you stir in the hot syrup-sugar mixture before adding.
- Marshmallows: Instead of corn syrup and sugar, melt 20 ounces marshmallows with 6 tablespoons butter, like you would with regular Rice Krispie Treats.
- Peanut Butter: Substitute other nut butters like cashew butter or almond butter, or try a non-nut butter spread like sunflower butter or chocolate hazelnut spread.
MORE DELICIOUS BROWNIE AND BAR RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE SCOTCHEROOS
- Serve: Chocolate Scotcheroos are best served at room temperature so they stay soft and chewy. You can keep at room temperature for up to 1 week in a plastic bag or other sealed container.
- Store: Keep Chocolate Scotcheroos in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften again.
- Freeze: Wrap individual Chocolate Scotcheroo Bars in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 6 months and thaw for a couple hours to serve.
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray or wipe with a bit of butter.
- Add corn syrup and sugar to a large pot on medium heat stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and it just starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter until smooth.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until well coated, then press the mixture, gently, into your baking dish.
- Add chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each one, until smooth.
Spread chocolate mixture over the cereal treats.
Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden before slicing.
Yield: 16 servings, Amount per serving: 450 calories, Calories: 450g, Carbohydrates: 71g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 228mg, Potassium: 238mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 56g, Vitamin A: 730g, Vitamin C: 7g, Calcium: 24g, Iron: 5g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.