Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are the perfect morning pick me up. Enjoy moist, rich muffins with melty chocolate chips and banana and coffee flavor!
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are one of the most comforting Breakfast Recipes out there! Seriously, what’s better than delicious melty chocolate flavor combined with banana in a moist muffin? Well, we’ve found a way to improve on the classic with some delicious coffee flavor!
MOCHA CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS
Mocha Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are truly the ultimate breakfast treat. It’s like combining Chocolate Chip Muffins, Banana Bread, and a cup of coffee. You get all the tastes of your favorite coffee shop baked into one delicious muffin!
To get the coffee flavor in mocha muffins coffee granules are added into the banana muffin batter. If you’re serving the muffins to kids or anyone else who doesn’t eat caffeine, you can always use decaf coffee to get the same flavor without the caffeine.
MAKE-AHEAD MOCHA CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS
Banana Mocha Chocolate Muffins are also great to make ahead of time. You can double up the recipe to make two batches, then you can enjoy half now and save the rest for later.
- Flash freeze the muffins you’re storing for an hour in the freezer while still in their muffin tin.
- Then take the muffins out of the tin and put them in a freezer bag. Flash freezing them makes sure they don’t get stuck together in the bag.
- They’ll stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
TIPS FOR MAKING MOIST, RICH MUFFINS
- Prep time: To start the Banana Mocha Chocolate Chip recipe preheat your oven and line your muffin tin with paper liners. Then peel three very ripe bananas and mash them with a fork.
- Wet ingredients: In a mixing bowl combine the bananas, egg, vegetable oil, applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk them together until well combined and smooth. Stir the coffee granules into water, and then combine the coffee mixture into your wet ingredients.
- Dry ingredients: In a separate bowl sift in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. It’s important to sift the dry ingredients so they combine easily and make a lighter batter. Whisk the flour mixture with the wet ingredients, and mix in ½ cup of chocolate chips to finish the batter.
- Bake: To make evenly sized muffins, use a ¼ cup ice cream scoop to spoon the batter into the paper-lined muffin cups. Top the muffins with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 18-20 minutes, and test if the muffins are done with a toothpick. Take the muffins from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON MOCHA CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS
- Coffee: For a stronger coffee flavor in your Banana Mocha Muffins, use instant espresso powder in place of coffee granules. On the opposite end, if you don’t want caffeine in the recipe just use decaf coffee.
- Chocolate chips: Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can use dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips in the recipe.
- Mix-ins: To add some more texture mix in chopped nuts like almonds, pecans, walnuts, or cashews. You can also add toffee bits or peanut butter chips to the mixture for different flavor.
- Flour: Instead of all-purpose flour you can use wheat flour or whole grain flour for some extra nutrients. You can also make the muffins gluten-free with oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour.
MORE BANANA RECIPES
HOW TO STORE MOCHA CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS
- Serve: Banana Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins can be kept at room temperature uncovered for 2 hours.
- Store: To keep the muffins nice and moist, put them in a plastic bag or airtight container with layers separated by parchment paper. They’ll keep best in the pantry for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze: Kept in a freezer-safe bag, the muffins will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 3 medium very ripe bananas , mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce , (or more oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl add the bananas, egg, vegetable oil, applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and whisk until fully combined.
- Stir coffee granules into the water and add to wet ingredients and stir.
- Into a second bowl sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and whisk until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Stir in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into each liner.
- Top with ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Hi Sabrina, I want to make these but am out of applesauce. Per the recipe I can use 1 cup of oil, is that right? I’m kind of scared to add a whole cup of oil ?. Is the measurement correct? Thanks! Can’t wait to make these.