Monkey Bread Muffins are easy delicious treats for breakfast and dessert. Made with canned biscuit dough, cinnamon sugar, and brown sugar in a muffin tin!
MONKEY BREAD MUFFINS
When it comes to an extra special Christmas morning breakfast, it doesn’t get much more delicious than sticky, sweet Monkey Bread! This pull-apart treat transforms regular refrigerated biscuit dough into a tasty treat perfect for special occasions. These mini Monkey Bread Muffins are great for potlucks or when you want to take this sticky bread on the go.
All you need to make Monkey Bread Muffins are refrigerated biscuit dough, 3 ingredients from your pantry, and some butter. This recipe uses jumbo buttermilk biscuits, but you can use any flavor or size you like. Keep in mind if you use regular size biscuit dough, or other smaller refrigerated dough like crescent rolls, you’ll need more pieces in each muffin cup.
Monkey Bread Muffins are so simple to make, your youngest kitchen helper can do most of the work. You can cut the canned biscuit dough for little chefs, or let them rip the dough balls by hand. Have your kitchen helpers toss the biscuit dough in the cinnamon sugar and assemble dough in muffin tins while you make the butter and brown sugar caramel mixture.
This recipe makes 12 individual servings, but you can easily double or triple the recipe and freeze baked muffins for later! You can also assemble the muffins a day ahead of time and refrigerate overnight before baking the next morning for an easy holiday breakfast. Serve muffins warm with butter on the side or dust with powdered sugar.
These Monkey Bread Muffins can double as dessert with more sweet toppings. Drizzle warm muffins with Salted Caramel Sauce or Chocolate Ganache for an easy dessert topping. Make a cream cheese glaze by mixing Cream Cheese Frosting with whole milk and a ½ teaspoon vanilla extract to thin it out. A scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and a Monkey Bread Muffin is a delicious treat any time of the year!
MORE DELICIOUS SWEET BREAKFAST RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON MONKEY BREAD MUFFINS
- Fruit: Sprinkle dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, candied cherries, or apricot pieces between dough pieces as you add them to the muffin tin.
- Chocolate: Add chocolate chips, like white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips, with the dough balls before baking. Top with extra chocolate chips right when they come out of the oven. You could use caramel pieces, peanut butter chips, or other soft candies.
- Maple Syrup: Drizzle the assembled biscuit pieces with maple syrup or honey instead of the butter-brown sugar mixture for extra sticky sweet Monkey Muffins.
- Cream Cheese: Make Gorilla Bread Muffins by layering cream cheese in the center of each muffin. Place 3 dough pieces in muffin cup, add a square of cream cheese, and top with 2 more pieces of dough. Bake as usual.
- Dough: Instead of refrigerated biscuit dough, you can use canned cinnamon roll dough, frozen puff pastry, or French Bread dough. Roll puff pastry or French bread into dough balls before tossing in cinnamon sugar mixture.
MORE DELICIOUS MUFFIN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE MONKEY BREAD MUFFINS
- Serve: Monkey Bread Muffins are best served warm. Keep Monkey Bread Muffins at room temperature for up to 2 days, covered in a cool dry place.
- Store: Once cooled, store Monkey Bread Muffins in an airtight container lined with a paper towel to absorb moisture. You can refrigerate up to 1 week and warm muffins in the microwave.
- Freeze: Freeze Monkey Bread Muffins on a baking sheet for one hour so they won’t stick together. Transfer frozen muffins to a sealed freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven or microwave.
- 3 packages refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough 12 ounces, each cut into quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with baking spray.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and biscuit quarters to a large bowl and toss well to combine.
- Add 5 pieces to each muffin tin.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a medium saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil for one minute before pouring over the muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a plate.