Sausage Combo Pizza Soup is a hearty soup with your favorite pizza toppings! Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers in a marinara sauce broth.
SAUSAGE COMBO PIZZA SOUP
You may have had Pepperoni Pizza Soup, but this soup recipe is for all the supreme pizza lovers out there. You start with a hearty, robust tomato soup made with marinara sauce and you load it up with all your favorite supreme pizza toppings. Made on the stove top in less than one hour, this is one of those flavorful, quick soup recipes that’s hard to beat!
Sausage Combo Pizza Soup has almost no prep time, besides diced onions and bell peppers, plus a short cook time – just 30 minutes! Save even more time with pre-chopped veggies or chop the night before. Everything is cooked in a large soup pot or dutch oven, for a quick meal made in one pan.
The rich tomato broth for Sausage Combo Pizza Soup is made with grocery store marinara sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasonings, and fresh peppers and onions. You sauté sausage until crispy, and cook the veggies in the fat to give your sauce a rich flavor. You can use your favorite Italian blend or make your own with italian flavors like dried basil and dried thyme.
Sausage Combo Pizza Soup is one of those hearty, delicious soups that you can serve as a meal on it’s own with Garlic Italian Bread and a side salad. Serve pizza soup as as a side dish with classic Italian dishes like Meat Lasagna. Pro tip – swap the Italian sausage for ground beef if you are making lasagna, that way you only have to cook meat once!
You can make Sausage Combo Pizza Soup in a slow cooker or in the Instant Pot instead of the stove top, too! We’ve got slow cooker and pressure cooker adjustments in this post so you can make this easy soup with whatever method you need. It’s a great soup recipe to make ahead and freeze for up to 6 months!
MORE DELICIOUS SOUPS
VARIATIONS ON SAUSAGE COMBO PIZZA SOUP
- Meat: Use smoked bacon, sliced pepperoni, or canadian bacon along with the sausage, sprinkling the cooked bacon as topping. Instead of pork sausage, try chicken sausage seasoned ground beef, ground turkey. Italian turkey sausage links make a great lower fat substitute for sweet Italian sausage.
- Sauce: Swap in homemade Pizza Sauce or Marinara Sauce for the store bought stuff. You could sub a cup of red wine for the chicken broth or use part beef broth for a super rich tomato broth.
- Tomatoes: For more robust tomato flavor, add diced tomatoes, canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, or tomato sauce. Diced tomatoes make a great garnish with the melted cheese and croutons.
- Veggies: Use red bell peppers instead of green peppers, or add other veggies like zucchini, caramelized onions, canned mushrooms, red onion, and artichoke hearts for a healthier, hearty soup.
- Pasta: Add in cooked small pasta like elbow or shell macaroni, ditalini pasta, or orzo to make this an extra hearty soup. You could also add canned black beans, chickpeas, leftover White Rice or Brown Rice.
- Seasonings: For your own Italian seasoning, use dried herbs like dried oregano, dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary, and add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Italian parsley, red pepper flakes, or fresh basil.
Slow Cooker Sausage Combo Pizza Soup
- In a large skillet, sauté sausage until crispy and transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook onions and bell peppers in sausage fat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion mixture and remaining ingredients, except mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and croutons, to slow cooker.
- Stir and cover slow cooker with lid. Cook covered for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and cook another 30 minutes covered to get melted cheese.
- Serve topped with croutons and parmesan cheese.
Instant Pot Sausage Pizza Soup
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté setting and sauté sausage until crispy. Move sausage to plate but do not drain fat.
- Sauté peppers and onions until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off pressure cooker. Add sausage and remaining ingredients, except cheeses and croutons and stir.
- Secure lid and set pressure valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Serve hot with mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and croutons.
MORE EASY CHEESY SOUP RECIPES
HOW TO STORE SAUSAGE COMBO PIZZA SOUP
- Serve: Sausage Pizza Soup can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours and kept warm in a slow cooker for up to 4 hours.
- Store: Keep Sausage Pizza Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a large saucepan on the stove top.
- Freeze: Cool Sausage Combo Pizza Soup completely before freezing in a sealed container for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in a large soup pot.
Sausage Combo Pizza Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 16 ounces pork Italian sausage , removed from casing
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 32 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 cup sliced black olives , drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 5 ounces Italian Seasoned croutons
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- To a large pot add the sausage on medium heat and cook until crispy (this will leave fat behind) before removing the sausage to a plate.
Add the mushrooms, onion and bell peppers and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, marinara sauce and olives and stir well.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl, top immediately with mozzarella cheese (this should melt quickly) and top with croutons and parmesan cheese.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 350 calories, Calories: 350g, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 37mg, Sodium: 2819mg, Potassium: 1021mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 1155g, Vitamin C: 51g, Calcium: 369g, Iron: 4g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.