Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars are a quick and easy cheesecake dessert recipe with just six ingredients you can make in less than an hour that taste like a churro cheesecake!
We love easy cheesecake recipes (check out my amazing NY Cheesecake Recipe) and this easy cheesecake recipe won’t disappoint you. Top it with Easy Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream for the perfect weeknight dessert!
SOPAPILLA CHEESECAKE BARS
Sopapilla Cheesecake has a cult following for those who know about it but if you tell someone who has never tried it they won’t believe you about how simple this dish is. It does utilize a few shortcuts in the preparation process, but if you want an all natural version (that takes longer to make) check out my New York Style Sopapilla Cheesecake I made when I first started the blog. That is how far back the sopapilla love goes on Dinner, then Dessert.
If you’re looking for a chocolate option, you have to take a look at my Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake recipe, it is basically the ultimate, most indulgent chocolate cheesecake ever. Also, it’s probably the most beautiful cheesecake I’ve ever photographed (a picture of it hangs in my office).
What is Sopapilla Cheesecake?
Sopapilla (sometimes called sopaipilla or sopaipa or chachanga is a fried pastry/quick bread served in Spanish parts of the world. Some may find the flavors and texture similar to that of Bunuelos which are covered in cinnamon and sugar (like this cheesecake recipe). This recipe is also stuffed with a sweetened cream cheese mixture that makes the most delicious quick take on a few different desserts mixed together.
What does Sopapilla Cheesecake taste like? Part Bunuelos, part churro, part fried ice cream, part cheesecake, wholly delicious.
I highly recommend making this recipe (or the more impressive, homemade version linked above).
How to Make Sopapilla Cheesecake:
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray.
- Roll out a container of crescent sheet dough in the bottom of it and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Evenly spread cheesecake mixture over dough.
- Roll out second sheet of crescent dough.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar and bake for 45 minutes.
What other flavors can be added to this Sopapilla Cheesecake Recipe:
- Fruit: We’ve used bananas that are sauteed in brown sugar and butter first or sliced strawberries.
- Extracts: Vanilla (2 teaspoons), Almond (1/2 teaspoon) or Coffee Extracts (1/2 teaspoon).
- Chocolate: Chocolate chips of any flavors, I prefer a semi-sweet or dark chocolate to stand up to the cinnamon flavors or a white chocolate to complement them (1 cup).
More Cheesecake Recipes:
- Oreo Cheesecake
- Ultimate Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Filled Pumpkin Bread Bars
- Gingerbread Cheesecake
Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
- 32 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar , divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cans crescent sheets
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and in a second small bowl with together the remaining 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Press the first sheet of crescent dough into the bottom of the baking pan and sprinkle 1/2 the cinnamon sugar over it.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough, then roll the second sheet of dough over the cream cheese mixture, brush with melted butter and sprinkle over the remaining cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Yield: 16 servings, Amount per serving: 342 calories, Calories: 342g, Carbohydrates: 34g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 70mg, Sodium: 183mg, Potassium: 78mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 33g, Vitamin A: 17g, Calcium: 5.8g, Iron: 1.3g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.