Stuffed Cabbage Casserole made with cabbage, beef, onions, rice and a chunky tomato sauce on your stovetop in just 30 minutes made crispy in a cast iron skillet. Not like grandma’s cabbage rolls.
Stuffed Cabbage Casserole is the modern answer I have to my grandmother’s stuffed cabbage rolls she used to labor over for hours.
I grew up having stuffed cabbage rolls and stuffed grape leaves and the overarching theme of those recipes is that it was a labor of love.
I still love the flavors of stuffed cabbage, but I started making a chopped up version of that recipe years ago and I haven’t looked back since.
I’ve been a huge fan of caramelized cabbage in recipes and as side dishes like my Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks and with some well browned beef, rice, tomato sauce and cabbage you’ll love this dish too.
A big bowlful of stuffed cabbage casserole and some crusty bread and you have the perfect comfort food.
How to bake stuffed cabbage casserole?
Brown the beef and onions and layer the chopped cabbage, tomato sauce, onions and beef in a large baking pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Brown the beef, then add all the ingredients together into the slow cooker to cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 3 hours. Use uncooked rice instead of cooked or add in the rice just before serving.
Tips for the perfect stuffed cabbage casserole:
- To ensure the cabbage pieces are the right size make sure you cut the cabbage into wedges before slicing.
- I use a can of chopped tomatoes for the texture, but you can use crushed tomatoes too.
- If your pan is dry, fill up the tomato can with liquid and add it into the pan before covering and cooking.
- Cooking with the pan covered allows the cabbage to steam a little bit as well too, making the texture similar to that of the stuffed cabbage rolls.
Looking for more beef recipes?
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Korean Ground Beef
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Tools used in the making of this Stuffed Cabbage Casserole:
Cast Iron Skillet: This is my most used pan in my kitchen, heavy, keeps heat well and gives the BEST sear ever.
Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 head cabbage cut into 8 wedges and sliced thickly
- 1 can (8 oz) chopped tomatoes not drained
- 2 cups rice cooked
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
In a cast iron skillet on high heat add the ground beef.
Season the beef with kosher salt and black pepper.
Brown the beef well and crumble it into large crumbles.
Remove from the pan, then add in the onion and half the butter.
Cook for 3-4 minutes or until just browning.
Remove onions to the same dish as the beef.
Add in the remaining butter and cabbage and cook on high heat until cabbage is wilted and browned.
Add the beef and onion mixture into the pan, mix slightly.
Add in the rice and tomato and stir gently, then cook for 5-7 minutes, covered, to cook and warm through.
Yield: 6 Servings, Amount per serving: calories
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.Save Recipe