Enjoy the comforting flavors of stuffed mushrooms, rich and cheesy with a golden panko crust, in an easy casserole side that will complete any holiday meal!
Our Holiday Recipes are so popular because they come together easily with common ingredients, and will wow a crowd with all the comforting flavors of home cooking. Stuffed Mushroom Casserole will be at home on your holiday table along with other classics like Green Bean Casserole and Baked Mac and Cheese that make holiday entertaining easy!
STUFFED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
Stuffed Mushrooms are always the first appetizer at a party to disappear! This Stuffed Mushroom Casserole has all the rich, savory flavors of stuffed mushrooms, including the contrast of a creamy cheesy inside with a golden breadcrumb crust. And there’s no need to prepare individual bites for each serving!
For this easy casserole, buttery, garlicky mushrooms are topped with a 3 cheese panko crust. The fun part of this casserole is that you can try using various kinds of mushrooms, since you’ll be quartering them to sauté before assembling the dish. You won’t need to worry about them being a size or shape that lends itself to stuffing. Try using chopped portobellos, shitaki, or oyster mushrooms to introduce more delicate or exotic flavors.
Like many holiday sides, Stuffed Mushroom Casserole can be made ahead and reheated to crisp up the topping prior to serving. Make it within 24 hours of when you plan to serve, let it cool completely, then cover the baking dish and refrigerate. Reheat in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until heated through.
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole is the perfect easy side to accompany those special holiday roasts, like No-Baste Roast Turkey or Honeybaked Ham (Copycat). Serve them alongside Candied Sweet Potatoes and Perfectly Easy Dinner Rolls for a holiday meal to remember!
MAIN DISHES TO SERVE WITH STUFFED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
VARIATIONS ON STUFFED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
- Cheese: Replace half or all of the mozzarella with a stronger flavored cheese such as gorgonzola, gouda, or white cheddar. Or use goat cheese in place of the cream cheese for a tangier taste.
- Seasonings: Add 1 teaspoon of dried or 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs such as sage, thyme, parsley, or basil. Or add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to lend a touch of heat.
- Veggies: Add some extra green veggies by wilting in 2 cups of fresh spinach or kale to the mushroom mixture right before adding the garlic. Or try 1 cup of chopped steamed broccoli.
- Mushrooms: Since you are chopping the mushrooms, you can use various kinds such as shitaki, chopped portobellos, or chanterelles to add a richer mushroom flavor, or white button mushrooms for a milder flavor. Try mixing 2-3 different types; many grocers sell packs that include a variety.
MORE EASY HOLIDAY SIDES
HOW TO STORE STUFFED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
- Serve: Stuffed Mushroom Casserole can be served at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Let cool completely, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can keep Stuffed Mushroom Casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole is rich and cheesy with a golden-brown crunchy panko crust, in an easy casserole side that will complete any holiday meal!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms , quartered
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet on medium high heat.
Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are seared and browned, about 6-8 minutes.
Add in garlic and stir until fragrant.
Turn off heat and spoon mushrooms into a 2-quart baking dish.
In a large bowl mash together the remaining butter, cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, panko and parmesan cheese.
Add the mixture to the top of the mushrooms in small pieces.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Yield: 8 , Amount per serving: 298 calories, Calories: 298g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 64mg, Sodium: 664mg, Potassium: 511mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 697g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 204g, Iron: 1g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert.